CU meter tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try living in the real world and see if you can get N Power to connect in new Meter tails from Consumer Unit (NOTHING TO DO WITH DNO :|
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble with N Power. They basically refuse to do anything. I even tried telling the girl on the phone the installation was unsafe and needed immediate work, but all I got was "put your request in writing"

What we really need is meters with half sealed and half un-sealed covers so we can change tails without disturbing DNO/meter supplliers side of things.
Scottish & Southern have been fitting meters like this made by Siemens for some time.

Not only is the output side not sealed (or sealed separate to the input side) but there's an output isolator switch built in.

It's about time ALL DNO's used these.

Scottish & Southern have been fitting meters like this made by Siemens for some time.Not only is the output side not sealed (or sealed separate to the input side) but there's an output isolator switch built in.

It's about time ALL DNO's used these.
Hurray some sense at last :^O

Hey Sparkytim, have a look at the front of the meter and see what it says, ours are marked Property of YEDL (Yorkshire Electricity Distribution Limited), Northern Electric are the same. Dosnt say property of NPower, EON, EDF etc.

Hey Sparkytim, have a look at the front of the meter and see what it says, ours are marked Property of YEDL (Yorkshire Electricity Distribution Limited), Northern Electric are the same. Dosnt say property of NPower, EON, EDF etc.
Hi

In my area a lot of Meters are "The property of Eastern Electricity"

This WAS the area Electricity BOARD back in the good old days.

Now EDF is our DNO and also a Supplier, one of the many.

I take it YEDL is a DNO and a SUPPLIER then as EDF is in my area.

However they operate as SEPERATE buisnesses, as DNO is DISTRIBUTION NETWORK OPERATOR with a certain area of control within which ANY Supplier can SUPPLY electricity to Consumers and bill them for it.

As a matter of interest they are unable to Communicate between DNO and SUPPLIER as the Consumer has to make own arrangements and CHOOSE any supplier they wish.

So we have the crazy set up that to obtain a new supply the Customer has to make arrangements with the DNO to get a supply cable and Cut-out installed then choose a supplier and request them to install a Meter.

So as I understand it you work for YEDL the Supplier if you fit Meters that they own NOT YEDL the DNO who do NOT OWN METERS, only cables Sub stations and Service Cut-outs.

PS

Just GOOGLE "DNO" and read discription

" DNOs are prevented from SUPPLYING electricity (which requires Meters)"

;)

Latest posts