CU meter tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob69

Reaction score
Hi All,

When changing a CU and the meter tails .Am i allowed to also change the meter tails from the cut out to the meter as these are also the incorrect size for current regs.

Also does anyone know of an easy way to identify cross sectional area on larger singles cables from 6mm upwards. As i am new to this it is causing me some probs having to carry samples to compare against.Is thier any rule of thumb so to speak or is it just recognitian with experience????

Cheers Rob

Changing the tails from the meter to the CU is a grey area. Changing the tails from the supply head to the meter is a NO NO.

Personally if I'm doing a CU change, I will cut the seals (if the seal fairy has not been before me) in order to fit new tails from the meter to the new CU.

But there is no way I would ever change the tails from the head to the CU.

Whenever that has been needed, I usually find a call to the DNO gets them replaced free of charge. If they look even remotely poor (not just sub standard size) then report them as unsafe, that usually gets them out quickly, often the same day.

It all depends on who is your DNO, and also is your DNO still the energy supplier to that property. If not, another level of communication, bureaucracy and delay is added. The worst I have found being N-Power who won't do anything by phone, and even when requested in writing to upgrade their tails never did anything.

As Pro Dave says do not change tails between meter and cut out they are nothing to do with you, technically you should not change them between meter and consumer unit but if they are old or 16mm or even 10mm I usually change them as a matter of course.

Between Consumer head and meter is non or our business. DNOs don't work to same regs as us, in that they size the supply by voltage drop, as they once told me. But it still annoys me that 20m of 10mm DNO supply is adequate, yet we fit 25mm tails for supposed max of 3m. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's how it is.

Thanks ProDave,

What's a DNO?

So i presume i can change the meter tails whilst CU being changed but need to notify DNO before work carried out.

Thanks rob

Distribution Network Operator i.e. EDF in my area.

They are responsible for the supply Network up to the Meter

Supplier (whoever you pay the Electricity bill to) Is responsible for the Meter

Customer is responsible for the Meter Tails (From Meter to Consumer Unit)

Hi guys, cutting the seals and pulling the sevice fuse or cutting the meter seals and putting new tails into the meter is a no no, this is classed as meter tampering. It makes no diference who the supplier is, the meter belongs to the DNO.

Nothing to add to what t'others have said.

As regards cable sizing I can usually tell by looking . But as you already do ,make up a bunch of short ends tywrapped together with sizes written on them. Some of the larger sizes we have to check by trying a lug.

There used to be a sizer ,not seen 'em for years though, like a steel rule with a V shaped slot in it and sizes stamped along it.

Hi guys, cutting the seals and pulling the sevice fuse or cutting the meter seals and putting new tails into the meter is a no no, this is classed as meter tampering. It makes no diference who the supplier is, the meter belongs to the DNO.
So what do you do to isolate supply?

So what do you do to isolate supply?
Just prey to the meter Fairy the night before and next day the seals have gone, don't know i never question it:innocent

Nothing to add to what t'others have said.As regards cable sizing I can usually tell by looking . But as you already do ,make up a bunch of short ends tywrapped together with sizes written on them. Some of the larger sizes we have to check by trying a lug.

There used to be a sizer ,not seen 'em for years though, like a steel rule with a V shaped slot in it and sizes stamped along it.
+1

but Im completely lost too by the time it gets to 180 or 240mm (or even before that if truth be told)

generally tho at that size Im the one pulling it so I know what Im using,

occasionally its existing so I'll have to try find a size on it or as Deke said, try some lugs.

Are you sure? I thought the Meter belonged to your chosen supplier not the DNO. ?:|

Just prey to the meter Fairy the night before and next day the seals have gone, don't know i never question it:innocent
As if by magic they wave their little wands and there you have it no seals ...amazing !! but safe . ;)

100% sure, the supplier has to pay for any work that has to be done at the meter ie meter change (recertification), change from credit to pre payment or vice vresa, add load etc. But the meter is still the asset of the DNO. I can only speak for our DNO's which are YEDL and NEDL (Yorkshire and Northern electricity).

No the Meter belongs to the SUPPLIER.

DNO only owns Cable in the street and service head (Cut-out)

Try living in the real world and see if you can get N Power to connect in new Meter tails from Consumer Unit (NOTHING TO DO WITH DNO

:|

No the Meter belongs to the SUPPLIER. DNO only owns Cable in the street and service head (Cut-out)

Try living in the real world and see if you can get N Power to connect in new Meter tails from Consumer Unit (NOTHING TO DO WITH DNO

No need for that, Tim :(

No the Meter belongs to the SUPPLIER. DNO only owns Cable in the street and service head (Cut-out)

I'm sure they will.......at a cost........a big cost.

What we really need is meters with half sealed and half un-sealed covers so we can change tails without disturbing DNO/meter supplliers side of things.

However ever since i found this:-
Image036.jpg

I have taken to inspecting main fuse regardless. If you look closely you just make out a piece of wire between 'prongs' used to bridge fuse.

I used to just snip the seal such that you can put it back and it looks intact.

Latest posts