Currently Learning, Willing To Work Unpaid To Gain Practical Experience

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambo88

Reaction score
Hi my name is Sam, am currently doing an electrician course but am now at the stage where I would benefit from working with an experienced electrician to show me the skills needed to become competent and make a career from. Am more than willing to work unpaid and anyone that can let me shadow them and gain knowledge from I would be more than grateful. I currently live in West Sussex but from time to time am about in Kent, any help would be great, cheers.

Thanks for quick response, basically I'm 24 and started this course with a company called NCS (New Career Skills) It is an 18 month course and the qualifications I gain at the end of it are City and Guilds 2377 & 2382 Level 3 and City and Guilds 2392 Level 2. I am due to finish the course at the end of this year/early2014. I live in Worthing so Brighton and Chichester are within my range. When I started this course I was quite unfamiliar with DIY but now I feel much more confident and just hoping someone will let me learn from them and maybe help them with the odd job.

Thanks for quick response, basically I'm 24 and started this course with a company called NCS (New Career Skills) It is an 18 month course and the qualifications I gain at the end of it are City and Guilds 2377 & 2382 Level 3 and City and Guilds 2392 Level 2. I am due to finish the course at the end of this year/early2014. I live in Worthing so Brighton and Chichester are within my range. When I started this course I was quite unfamiliar with DIY but now I feel much more confident and just hoping someone will let me learn from them and maybe help them with the odd job.
Are you sure you've not missed any qualifications out mate. It can't take 18 months to do 2377

Pat testing, 2392 initial verification and 2382 wiring regs can it. You sure you've not done 2330 or the like ?

Well I've been told some people have done this course in 4 months, 18 months is the maximum time allowed for completion, I was unsure too when being told about the course but if you check them out (newcareerskills) and talk to some of the people who have finished the course, it looks like they are doing very well and are a legit path into a career in electrics. Obviously they cant prepare you for everything which is why I need onsite experience and no I don't hold any qualifications yet. 

At the end of the day it's up to you but I am very eager to learn and just observing someone with good experience would be great.

ever wondered why an apprenticeship is 4 years?

once your out in the real world you will soon realise how much a waste of time those short courses are and how much you dont know

Last edited by a moderator:
considering lots of people have been successful off this course and are making a living from it and the course itself being backed by the prime minister I think I'll stick with it, not asking people for opinions on what I'm doing, would just appreciate someone who I could learn from.

Lots of people have been sucked into doing short courses, with the promise of a job and good money afterwards.

Problem is, they don`t teach you a fraction of what you actually need to know. I appreciate that you`ve realised there is a shortfall in your knowledge, which is why you want to learn - and I applaud you for it. It isn`t a full course - 2377 can be done in a day, 2382 should take approx 1.5hrs, after some reading of the big book - and initial verification isn`t a qualification that will turn heads.

You may want to think about 2391 - that helps to separate "those that can" from "those that have been told they can"......

Just quick comment, r.e. prime minister ( uncapitalised intentionally) - the office of the PM also "validated" the EAL 5 week "domestic installer" course  - and look at the nonsense that has come from that!!!! 

Fair point, I wasn't aware of that but I knew a job and good money wasnt going to come my way unless I was willing to work for it and regarding the qualifications I know they are the basics but it at least gets me one foot on the ladder. I feel like we have gone off topic slightly and would just appreciate anyone willing to offer their knowledge and time for 1-2 days a week.

he wasnt refering to the course....
exactly,

if you have paid a load of money out to learn the theory,

why should someone teach you the practical side for free?

it cost me a lot more than the few grand you are paying to learn what I know,

work it out, an apprentice wage over 5 years compared to a pen pusher over 5 years, how much less does an apprentice earn,

Id guess somewhere around 20-30K ,

so, lets say somewhere around £240 a day seeing as you want some intensive training in the black magic voodoo that is making sparks fly  ;)

So let me get this right, you do a PA testing course, regs and initial verification in 18 months????

After this weeks training is complete what do they teach you the rest if the time?

Do they say you can get a job as an electrician after this?

No company would employ you as a spark I wouldn't think.

What do the training people advise you to do once finished with them?

Wow and I thought it would be a good idea to try and gain some knowledge on here, guess I was wrong, cant help being a 'pen pusher' if no one will let me observe them practically, I wont give up trying, just hope I dont deal with many more people like you lot, definitely know how to take the wind out of someones sails, later!

sambo,

the bit you fail to grasp is this,

you will most likely cost someone time to allow you to 'help' or observe, and the point being, time is money.

you have felt unaggrieved paying for the theory, why do you feel it should be any different for the practical.?

Sadly tho Sam, this 'lot' are right.

I tell yo what there has barely been a day gone by since I joined this forum that I havent seen a new 'Willing to work for free'  thread appear on here. Strangekly enough, not too many of them get takenm up on thier offer.

If only people would do the research and ask on places like this BEFORE paying out shedloads on a short (or long) course.........

Now, having said that, i did a short course to get started in this trade back in 2008 i did the 2330 lvl 2, 5 years later and  a lot of learning ( both real world and in the classroom) and I still dont call myself an electrician. Guess what? My college also told me how so many of their students were doing alright after taking teh course, thats a coincedence eh?

Dont forget, lecturers need work too

Wow and I thought it would be a good idea to try and gain some knowledge on here, guess I was wrong, cant help being a 'pen pusher' if no one will let me observe them practically, I wont give up trying, just hope I dont deal with many more people like you lot, definitely know how to take the wind out of someones sails, later!

Hello sambo88, let me just try and explain a few things from a different angle...

Firstly I think I would be right in saying that everyone on the forum has some respect and good wishes for anyone who tries to better themselves....

gain extra skills and qualifications and put there own time and money into making themselves more salable in the workplace....

So I hope you get out of the course what you are hoping for.... Guinness

But a few reality checks you must be aware of...  nothing about knocking wind out of sails, but also not giving overly optimistic replies...

Fact 1:  All of these training companies that you pay for learning.. are business that are out there to make a profit... 

and just like the car salesman at the garage they will only try and sell the positives of their product... 

Thats the way business works..  No salesman advertises the weakest points of their product!!!!

Fact 2: it is relatively easy to sell theoretic knowledge and teach people how to pass a few exams..

to learn a genuine skill and trade is a much longer process and guaranteeing hands on practical experience is a rather more valuable commodity...

Fact 3:  Any person who is running a small business has a lot of legal obligations

and liabilities that they have to accommodate within their daily work practice....

(far more than years ago when things were a bit more relaxed)

Fact 4: working with electricity is an invisible product that can kill a healthy adult or cause fires to burn down a property....  

if done wrong and blame can be proved there are very severe consequences for some mistakes...

Its not like working with a painter or carpenter learning a few decorating skills!!

Fact 5: There is proven clear evidence throughout this industry of incompetence and very poor quality training by some training establishments.

Fact 6: Any good electrician who has worked hard to establish their own business would think very hard about who, or if, they take on as a trainee, mate, or partner etc..  as points 3, 4 & 5 could wipe out all they have worked hard to establish. 

Fact 7: 90%+ of job allocations comes down to WHO you know not WHAT you know!!... 

So people who know you as a person are more likely to use your skills rather than a stranger selecting you based on some qualifications.

Summary:-

I started working for myself in 1999, now in my 15th year   and  personally I would be very unlikely to utilise any one in a situation such as yourself unless I have a few years prior experience of the person concerned.... 

Its too much of a risk & liability for my business...

I know that doesn't help you much...

But a bit of truth and reality can help put a few things into perspective....

Hope you can prove me wrong and get yourself sorted...

but dont give up at the first few set backs....

persistence and determination are needed to succeed in many walks of life!

Guinness

sambo,

the bit you fail to grasp is this,

you will most likely cost someone time to allow you to 'help' or observe, and the point being, time is money.

you have felt unaggrieved paying for the theory, why do you feel it should be any different for the practical.?

Sadly tho Sam, this 'lot' are right.

I tell yo what there has barely been a day gone by since I joined this forum that I havent seen a new 'Willing to work for free'  thread appear on here. Strangekly enough, not too many of them get takenm up on thier offer.

If only people would do the research and ask on places like this BEFORE paying out shedloads on a short (or long) course.........

Now, having said that, i did a short course to get started in this trade back in 2008 i did the 2330 lvl 2, 5 years later and  a lot of learning ( both real world and in the classroom) and I still dont call myself an electrician. Guess what? My college also told me how so many of their students were doing alright a fter taking teh course, thats a coincedence eh?

Dont forget, lecturers need work too

Much Wisdom spoken here by two forum members from very opposite ends of the electrical trade training spectrum I think......    but spot the similarities!!!!

:Salute    :Applaud   :Applaud

Last edited by a moderator: