Daft idea

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the daftest ideas in our trade IMHO was the ubiquitous Wylex Consumer Unit with the main switch on the right but then counting the ways from right to left . Not every one knew this so if you called to another sparks to pull circuit 4 ,say, you then wondered from which end was he counting.

Any other daft ideas ??

I always count from the side of the main switch I thought we all did it that way

personally if i was working on a circuit and asked another sparks to pull the fuse i'd shout "ow numpty pull the downstairs ringmain fuse" even if it wasnt marked i'd hope he'd have a pretty good idea what colour/rating to be looking at otherwise he really would be a numpty

apprentice once used a Volex (i think) consumer unit to replace an old wylex only to find when fitting the tails that the main switch is on the far left not the right after he had wired all the circuits in.....now he really was a numpty

how about introducing the nes RCD rule for cables buried in walls...what next!

I just think its crazy to start counting from r to l must be me !!Cable colours , Oh yes, and the sudden obsession with cables in walls, whats all that about !!

Deke
Anyone who can invent a decent plastic nail is definitely on a winner here! :^O :^O:^O

yep from the main switch here also :)
I can't get my head round that one at all, just 'cos the main switch is on the right you suddenly start reading from the right, but the next board you fit is a different make and you are counting from the left again , beats me ; \ :) :_|

I can't get my head round that one at all, just 'cos the main switch is on the right you suddenly start reading from the right, but the next board you fit is a different make and you are counting from the left again , beats me ; \ :) :_|
You must completely poo yourself if you come across one of them Volex split load boards... (I think it was volex?)

Main switch left,

RCD right,

circuit numbers counting toward the middle!!!:OBlushing

Know what you mean Specs, but you can still just count from the left. There was some confusion with TP Dist. Bds too, when all circuits were SP, some went R1 Y1 B1 then R2 Y2 B2 when others went 1 2 3 4 5 6 etc. Or a three pole MCB counted as 1 and threw all the other numbers out. My head hurts !!

Ask Shalom on the BDC thread, he can tell you a tale about left & right readings

Ask Shalom on the BDC thread, he can tell you a tale about left & right readings
OY. Slipslap. Behave yourself please.

How do you count on a hi-integ. "17th edition" c.u, with 2 rcbo`s to one side of the main switch, 4 circuits to the right of an RCD, which is to the right of a further 4 circuits and their RCD, all of which is to the right of the main switch; i.e.

rcbo,rcbo,mainswitch,rcd,mcb,mcb,mcb,mcb,rcd,mcb,mcb,mcb,mcb

sorry for lack of spaces, but had to put it all on one line for

"clarity"