Day rate.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Reaction score
I explained to a customer today that my day rate was

It's a free market. You can charge whatever your customers will pay

I am always cautious if I get a few quotes and 1 seems very cheap

In this world you get what you pay for.

My boss recons you ought to get 5% complain about the bill and then your prices are right!

I think it's reasonable!

deffo go up.

but also i dont do a day rate.. price or nothing .

Robbo

If you are self employed and can get that rate every day you work you possibly could make a living. But what about days you are ill and days when you don't get a full day in, it happens. Are they going to pay your wages when you are not working I think not. I charge at least 25 percent more than what you are charging and I am finding it a struggle. You are always going to get people moaning about what you charge and others that will say is that all. It is a part of being self employed they will have to find some other mug if they don't want to pay what you charge. Then when it goes wrong you can have the last laugh.

Batty

Tell them to phone up three corgi heating engineers and get their day rate and then ask him to look at the simple form they fill in and compare it to the paperwork we do. As far as skill sets go IMO we are as skilled as them but we aint on their rates !!! (please note this is not real advise more a rant:D)

I think

Hi Robbo,

What type of work is it, domestic, commercial, Industrial? I know this may sound daft but take into account the customer and work,

is the work clean and easy, or working in a sewer.

is it working for a blue chip company that is racking in money or is it a old couple that have a black and white telly, (but be careful the old couple may be loaded lol)

Another way is low hourly rate but increase the price of materials to balance the hourly rate.

Have you done work for them before? if so ask have they ever had problems with your work in the past I guess if you have then they haven't other wise they would not be asking you back. everyone is trying to cut costs thus contractors are being pushed to low costs. If you feel this guy is taking the pi** then walk away there is no point in working your guts out and not making any money for you and your family, that is why we work not for the fun of it ITS FOR THE MONEY TO LIVE THE LIFE WE WANT.

Any way up in sunny Scunny I would expect hourly rate of