Decisions decisions!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laserdavy

Reaction score
Hi

A few points in here so bear with it.

I have come to a point where I need to make some choices, the first one is that I need to register with a Part P organisiation (self employed) and as I see it there is NICIEC, Nappit or Elecsa, I know they are all similar in cost, but bearing in mind that the majority of work I will be doing is domestic and light commercial ie farms and small shops is there any benefit to being a member of one rather that the other.

The next point is I have not done my 2391, but have had an early offer from my college of a course starting in the next couple of weeks - trouble is I am a bit colleged up and was thinking of doing it in the Spring, mainly because although I can inspect and test but have not done many and was told that to do the course you need to be on the ball with it as it does not tell you how to do it, you are expected to know it.

I know that Nappit require the 2391 to register with them, but from my point of view do I really need to do it - what are the benefits of it, I may well do the odd periodic, but so far as I can see you need no qualification to do one as its not part P work - which is bizzare!!!

It is my intention to get some practice with inspecting & testing with a mate, but he only maybe does 1 full install a month. I am not thick by any means, have passed all exams with flying colours, but this exam scares me a bit, a) because everyone says its a TW*T and B) the high failure rate shows that it is.

Lastly, obviously to get assessed I need jobs to show the assessor, now minor works are not a problem providing they are not notifiable, but not being registered I have to go through building control and pay the dosh up front to have their guy come along and sign it off. I contacted the local council and I got the impression that they did not have a clue what I was on about and sent me out a planning application so I could tell them what I am going to do - a complete rewire on a refurb property (good one I thought for the main jobbie). Has anyone had any experience of having to go through this process or can you tell me that there is another way to do it!

Your advice would be appreciated.

Just gone thro this with NICEIC:D, they didn't require me to have 2391 but on assessment had to show I could do all the tests and explain what I compared the results to. As for jobs to show them, they required, as a minimum, one minor works and one that required an installation certificate. They don't mind if the work is on your own or a realtives address.

As fro notifying bc about the jobs I had a similar problem, then I found out that they send the same form out no matter what the job and i had to write on it what I was doing. They worked out the fee on the basis of how much the job was to cost. Here in Bolton its a minimum of

Mikel, are you saying that the local BC came out to pass off your work for Part P, looked at it and went ?? Do they issue an EIC for that or a Periodic ?? Or is there one we don't know about, like a JQL cert. ( Just had a Quick Look Certificate.)

laserdavy I'm in pretty much the same position as you. Got to decided now whether to grovel with the bank to go down the part p route or jack it all in as I've spent a lot getting this far and honestly can't see me making any of it back the way things are going.

As for lbc, I had to pay

Chris at least you go more than Mikey did - it appears to me that the BC have got lumped with this and dont really want to get on with it. When I contacted Elecsa they said when you are doing your job spek with the BC officer and tell him what you are doing - ie becoming approved, ask him if he wouldn't mind you doing the job, testing getting your inspection done and if all was OK then he would pass the job off. Suppoe it depends on the Inspector really, but it may save me 100 + squid as I feel as this is a mate I am doing it for that I can pass that cost on.

As for jacking it all - don't, you have done too much to throw it all away, there is work out there but not too much. I am lucky I only want bits with the odd good jobbie amongst it, but if I were full time I would be a bit concerned.

Anyone got any suggestions as to who is the best NICIEC etc or is simply down to your personal choice.

Yeah, I really don't want to jack it in. Something I've always enjoyed and wanted to do. Unfortunately I am doing it full time and the bits of work I've done aren't enough to pay the bills, which is basically the problem! Spent today registering with agencies for temp warehouse work to see if it'll tide me over....

As for who to go with, I spoke to the niceic, elecsa and napit when I was looking into it and the only ones that gave me piles of information and help was napit, the rest just seemed to read off what it already said on their websites. I think a lot of it is personal choice tho.

go for napit, i was with nic in my last company and i think there a waste of space, napit a lot more helpfull and interested in what you have to say to them.

Im also in the same position with regards to jacking it in, im ready to become assesed with n aapit got my jobs ready etc but i keep on holding back sending the cheque off to them as no were near enough work is coming in to pay any bills, and when i job does come in that many are quoting for it that it ends up geting done for next to nothing (or polish do it for basically free)

as for 2391 i have not got it and as everyone says above you get 18 moths to get it anyway.

lets all hope next year picks up a bit

Latest posts