Differences between schemes?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Sutcliffe

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been strolling through the forum and through the websites and have been struggling to work out which would be the best scheme to join and was hoping someone could point out the differences.

I have been looking at NAPIT mainly, purely as it was the first website I looked at and it seemed reasonably priced and quite straight forward, allowing me to do any work if I so wished.

However, I have now looked at NICEIC and Elecsa, which both look like cheaper options for a domestic installer.

Am I missing some obvious differences or are they all the same?

Thanks in advance.

Id recommend Join the Niceic mate they are more recognised n more respected and a lot of bigger jobs prefer u to be with the Niceic

For most Part P work I would say that they are all the same and afford any member the same rights to sign off their work. Some insurance companies and private sector groups will request that you are a member of the NICEIC, but attitudes in this area are changing albeit slowly.

NAPIT will be the easiest to join, they wont even accept the fact that one of their members has installed a dangerous installation.

they are all numpty scams with perhaps an exception being NICEIC AC .

only my opinion mind,

you could always move north of the border, Im sure ProDave had some good reason for that, I just cant remember it right now ;)

NAPIT will be the easiest to join, they wont even accept the fact that one of their members has installed a dangerous installation.they are all numpty scams with perhaps an exception being NICEIC AC .

only my opinion mind,

you could always move north of the border, Im sure ProDave had some good reason for that, I just cant remember it right now ;)
Well they let me in;) ;)

Think about it from your customers point of view.

Some stipulate NICEIC, some know all about Part P and others don't even know what Part P is:O

But out of the schemes the NICEIC is certainly the most recognised

Id recommend Join the Niceic mate they are more recognised n more respected and a lot of bigger jobs prefer u to be with the Niceic
Trouble is with NICEIC they have such a large membership they get quite a few dodgy sparks joining, some don't even understand earthing.

Trouble is with NICEIC they have such a large membership they get quite a few dodgy sparks joining, some don't even understand earthing.
:slap

if you think NICEIC are bad then you havent seen anything like the rabble/numpties/drunks/d!ckheads/5WW the rest of them let in.

so far IMHO napit being the worst of them all, they wont even recognise when its put to them.

In my opinion doesn't really matter who you go with they all have good and bad points, end of the day you wil be able to do your part p work legally. It's all just money making scheme anyway. what would all the scheme providers do if part p was ever scrapped as how many of you would still pay your money and be members?

The trouble with the NICEIC is that they have a far larger membership than any of the other schemes. I'm sure that percentage wise that the other schemes have a similar number of numpties.

The trouble with the NICEIC is that they have a far larger membership than any of the other schemes. I'm sure that percentage wise that the other schemes have a similar number of numpties.
Think they've all got good and bad . Like everything really :)

Hi all.I've been strolling through the forum and through the websites and have been struggling to work out which would be the best scheme to join and was hoping someone could point out the differences.

I have been looking at NAPIT mainly, purely as it was the first website I looked at and it seemed reasonably priced and quite straight forward, allowing me to do any work if I so wished.

However, I have now looked at NICEIC and Elecsa, which both look like cheaper options for a domestic installer.

Am I missing some obvious differences or are they all the same?

Thanks in advance.
Do a non scientific poll of your friends, family and potential customers, ask them if they know of any electrical contractor bodies/schemes etc, Ask if they can name any or if you give them the names do they recognise any? At the end of the day most electricians want their customers to be aware of who they are members of and any improved profile or advertising advantage it may give. This I believe is one reason why a lot of electricians choose NICEIC, simply down to its greater public profile.

Doc H.

I have yet to be asked if I am part of a scheme on big jobs! I did join NAP as was pretty clueless to all this Part P, in fact I was ' What the hell is that' Having been back 2 years I am slowly learning things are no longer what they seem! Speaking of NAP, not yet used it, still have my free notifications lol Oh well there when needed!!! As a side note, get asked more for Safe or Chas than scheme!!! The whole game is knowing what you know, applying what you know and knowing someone that knows someone etc etc :)

MKS

you usually dont need a scheme on larger jobs, building notification has already been done, its really only for small private one off jobs, like a CU change, or a new cooker/shower circuit etc,

oh, you dont need to actually know anything, just have a cheque book, this is fact as proven by the amount of stoopid questions posed by alledged scheme members all over the internet,

and some of the installs I have seen,! :eek:

Step, i should have clarified, not really done any domestic since joining. To be honest, not sure why I joined, but you live and learn. Being NIC Approved, got my response, as never had the need to :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line is what scheme will benefit your business the most, the answer is probably NICEIC A/C

This is what you wanna go for, most recognised, most sought after, opens most doors, forget the fact it's a few quid more expensive initially, it's all about long term returns, this should be what your considering in your decision making process, you could join napit which is alot easier to get into but do you really want the hassle of explaining to every customer who knocks you back cause you not with Nic that you really are competent but are instead joined to another group nobodies ever heard of?, I hear if you call them and tell them they will call the customer etc etc but why are you paying them your fees??

Personally, as a real electrician, membership of a part P scheme means absolutely zilch in terms of competency, I would only really consider ECA or NIC A/C to be of any real worth, yeah you get a few muppets working under the larger A/C companies but generally a smaller out fit where the QS can keep a reasonable eye on the work standards

It's generally good

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally as I have said before, as an real electrician, membership of a part P scheme means absolutely nothing
Whilst quite true, should that also mean it doesn't matter which scheme you join for part p, after all it's purely a notification scam and the customer only needs to be assured that their install is notified and insured in the event of a problem. ??

As with all schemes they are profit making organisations with priorities focused on revenue first, industry standards second.

About time the government set up regulatory watchdog to oversea the industry similarly to Gas Safe which can be regulated by the HSE.

Well my point being they are all equally worthless in terms of proving levels of competence, however if you have gotta get signed up why not sign up to the one that there's a chance your potential customer may have actually heard of, or may actually get you a few more jobs throughout the year and warrant the fees you pay?

Latest posts