different ways of wiring lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still a bit confused about the wiring lights information. I am currently in an apprenticeship, and I haven't quite mastered this topic. Does anyone recommend any good reads about this topic that I could pick up from my local bookstore, or perhaps a good website that shows detailed instructions, including pictures in their explanations? Thanks for any information.
Hi Electricstan , are you living and working in the U.S ? If so the barmy Regs and methods that we use in the UK will not make any sense.

That is my point, there seems to be no end!Also there is no common sense with respect to some of the legislation.

However, the hierarchy does say don't do it if it can be avoided, it is not possible to avoid chasing walls.

When you are upstairs say in a bedroom standing on the floor of the room, you are probably standing on the level to which you could fall!

Thus no WAH!
i must remember to take my harness and lanyards next time i stand a piece of plastic sheeting when chopping out a single to twin knock out box at low level :slap :slap:slap:slap:slap:slap:slap honestly, this elf and safety is such a pain in the ariss. O)

I personally, when I use this method, use an adaptable box fitted with a DIN rail and mount it in the loft on a truss or some such like, for downstairs it will usually be nearby the consumer unit. not all properties will benefit from this method, but for those that are suitable it is IMHO a very good system.
Steps, Maybe when you revisit, or rewire another property, you could put some pics up on the "Your Pictures" thread for the guys to view?

I remember the spider system that was in my house before it was rewired. (round JB, so it was). :)

I'm still a bit confused about the wiring lights information. I am currently in an apprenticeship, and I haven't quite mastered this topic. Does anyone recommend any good reads about this topic that I could pick up from my local bookstore, or perhaps a good website that shows detailed instructions, including pictures in their explanations? Thanks for any information.
There are 1 way, 2 way and 3 way (intermediate) lighting circuit wiring diagrams in our Downloads area - allbet, they are three plate ones.

HTH

Admin.

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 23:05 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

Ah, I see that you are following in your Father-In-Law's footsteps in the States. :)

electricstan,

Also remember we have different terms than you in the States. For example, ...what you call ''3 way switching'', ...we call 2 way. Where you count the number of terminals on the switch, we define what the switch does, ie ...the lighting point can be switched from 2 locations.

What we call ''3way'' is basically a 2 way circuit with an intermediate switch in the middle, ....again we define the switch by what it does not by the number of terminals on the switch.....