Dimmable downlights too bright

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Struggers89

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently had some dimmable down lights installed but even on the lowest setting they are way too bright. The lights are Collingwood DLT551500X and they have functionality on the unit itself to adjust the brightness / warmth, but again even on lowest setting way too bright. The dimmer switch has no functionality for low level trimming. Can anyone offer any suggestions on easiest way to adjust the low level brightness? Thanks in advance!

Change the dimmer. You can get programmable dimmer switches. I have one, very easy to set up It dims more than the original
Thank you. I did buy another dimmer but it didn’t work. Any suggestions/links to what dimmer I should go for? Attached is what is currently being used.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_9892.jpeg
    IMG_9892.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Do they dim at all ?

And 6 lights is too many imho

This is why it’s never a good idea to fit sealed units

Those look like existing holes - what was there before

Last edited:
Do they dim at all ?

And 6 lights is too many imho

This is why it’s never a good idea to fit sealed units

Those look like existing holes - what was there before
Yes they dim but not to a suitable level. We left it all in the hands of the electrician so had no input in types of unit used. The holes were newly drilled for the lights.

Thanks

Yes they dim but not to a suitable level. We left it all in the hands of the electrician so had no input in types of unit used. The holes were newly drilled for the lights.

Thanks

So did you discuss the pros and cons of 4 lights versus 6?

Best you get them back - it’s not finished until you are happy

You say the new dimmer does not work, before you get another, what happens if you put "The first dimmer" back? Do the lights work?

This is the dimmer that I have Click me
You say the new dimmer does not work, before you get another, what happens if you put "The first dimmer" back? Do the lights work?

This is the dimmer that I have Click me!
Thank you. Yes I’ve put the first dimmer back and works fine. Thanks for the link!

Thank you. I did buy another dimmer but it didn’t work. Any suggestions/links to what dimmer I should go for? Attached is what is currently being used.
Thanks again.

that dimmer has a min load of 60w. your LED's will be less than that

get a better dimmer designed for LED's. many also have another dimmer on the back to adjust the min dimming level (some LED's flash when dimmed too much, turn that up until the flashing stops)

The dimmer switch in your photo states loads from 60watts min to 400watts max.

The photo of your lights states 6watts each and you say you have 6 of them. 6x6watts = 36watts.

36watts is too low for the dimmer switch which requires 60watts min.

Your electrician should have been well aware of this very basic common issue with LED's and dimming and compatible dimmer switches.

The dimmer switch in your photo states loads from 60watts min to 400watts max.

The photo of your lights states 6watts each and you say you have 6 of them. 6x6watts = 36watts.

36watts is too low for the dimmer switch which requires 60watts min.

Your electrician should have been well aware of this very basic common issue with LED's and dimming and compatible dimmer switches.
Thanks! So would this suit? https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLKSP101.html

If you click onto the DataSheet in the bottom right of your above link
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLKSP101.html

You find the product Description:
1-Gang 2-Way Push-On/Off Rotary LED Dimmer 1 x 0-100W (max 10 LEDs)

Is states minimum load 0watts. Maximim load 100watts
As your 36watts is within 0 to 100 it should work fine..

However occasionally some dimmable LEDs can be a bit temperamental about which dimmer switches they are happy to work with.

You could always try contacting Collingwood's customer support just to double check.
https://www.collingwoodlighting.com/contact/

if you get a varilight MJP120 dimmer module you will be able to adjust to min & max levels to suit your requirements.