Dimplex Duo Heat 500i - Can't set night storage temperature

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxy32

Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can give me some advice. I have two Dimplex Duo Heat 500i heaters. Both have seperate electrical feeds, for night and day storage. On the instructions it says I can set the night background heater temp by pressing the + button until 10 bars are full then continue to hold for a further 7 seconds until the led's flash. On my heaters, I press and hold as instructed but the heater doesn't flick over to the background heater temp setting.

I have had the thing apart and tested electricity is being delivered to all components so I know they're powered.

Reading some of the threads on here, I either have to reset the device or I can only set the background temp when I'm in an off peak time (between 12am and 7am)

Would someone know what option I should go for and if it's the reset option, where I am likely to find the reset button.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Boxy

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have the intructions, thank you. Just really need to know if I need to look at resetting the heater or if I can only set the background heater after 12am during the off peak electricity period.

Cheers

Boxy

It has two seperate power supplies, one for day and one for night. It also has two 'seperate' controls for day and night. The unit has one physical control. To access the night part of the control, you press and hold the + button on the control until the led's change from a solid state to flashing. Once flashing you are in control of the night temperature. On both my heaters I cannot get the led's to the flashing state.

The more I think about that option the more ludacris it sounds, if that's true, then did the bloke who fitted the heaters stay until midnight to set them up? I think I'll get it open and find the reset button, I was hoping someone would tell me where it is located but never mind.

Thanks anyway

Thermal cut out will be near the controls. When you are pushing and holding the button you are taking it upto setting 10 (max) first?

I fitted a few a while back but deffinatly did not stay till midnight was finished by teatime. I will try and find an installation sheet sure I had a spare one. I thought the fiddling about was to get heat right in the day not the night.

Batty

Cheers Batty, curious. On the instructions, it says you might need to run it for a few days and adjust the night temp to get a good ambient temp, the day one you use to top up on the ambient temp if you're feeling a bit cold.

Would a power cut have the same effect as over heating the unit? i.e. would it cause the safety cut off to engage?

Boxy

Well, it's even more curious then, because I have two of these units and both of them are behaving the same way. I was looking for a common cause that could have made both of them not go into the night temp setting, the only thing I could think of was a power cut but if that's not done it then the only thing left is to find the rest button and have a go on that.

Cheers for your help

Sure its not your timeswitch or something else wrong with the off peak. Do you have anything working corrctly on the off peak?

Yeah, got two feeds coming into the flat, peak and off peak. Have two curcuit breakers for each heater, peak and off peak. I have one other thing on the off peak - the water, I never use it though. I switch the water on for 30 mins each time I need it, that's enough for me.

I had both wall switches off the other evening, about 6ish and both had power to the switch, I could see switching each wall switch that the power to the unit was cut. With the switch on I had power running through the internal terminations coming from the wall switches so I drifted away from an electrical supply problem.

Yeah, got two feeds coming into the flat, peak and off peak. Have two curcuit breakers for each heater, peak and off peak. I have one other thing on the off peak - the water, I never use it though. I switch the water on for 30 mins each time I need it, that's enough for me.I had both wall switches off the other evening, about 6ish and both had power to the switch, I could see switching each wall switch that the power to the unit was cut. With the switch on I had power running through the internal terminations coming from the wall switches so I drifted away from an electrical supply problem.
But at 6 in the evening you will be on peak not off peak. It sounds to me that you may have a problem with off peak supply. Try putting immersion on this evening on off peak and see if that works.

Batty

Nah - won`t cause O/Ps problem.

The electronics for the heat levels ONLY require the 24hr supply to be on, NOT the off-peak.

Press and hold + button - display should slowly move up to max. Keep button pressed - usually about 10 seconds - then ONE of the bars should begin flashing - all the others go out. The heater only stays in this state for about 20 seconds without pressing anything -at this point you release the + button, and press either + or - as required.

Are you saying you`ve done the above, and NEITHER of the units go to background??

KME - Thanks for the reply, I have done what you have said above on both units and neither of them go into background. Press and hold the + button until lights are maxed, continue to hold for 10 or so seconds, no flashing light, just all ten lights full on.

OK - likelihood of the thermal trip having gone - can happen if you`ve had clothes, etc. over the heaters. The trip is re-settable, remove screws at bottom of front plate, then lift & remove front cover. Don`t think you have to remove thermal chamber cover......... Trip is under the top lip - LHS I believe. Should "click" when pressed. Have they EVER worked, or been U/S since installation?

I investigated this already, had the front cover off and looked everywhere for a reset switch but couldn't find anything reotely resembling a reset switch or button. Looking at the wiring diagram for this particular model, it shows and automatic cut off/reset switch.

The property has had about 4 power cuts previously but none recently.

The owner cannot recall ever setting the background temperature but didn't actually know that function was availible.

I have left the power to the background part switched on with the booster power off. This is heating the property but it's miles too hot so only one of the two heaters can be on. It's leaving the property really warm one end and cold the other.

I'm sure thinking about it more, there was no reset button at the top left hand side of the heater. I removed the control panel on the right side and a blanking plate on the left and there wasn't a reset switch/button.

Any other ideas? Can I get hold of a control module for them anywhere?