Dimplex XLS12N Getting only very slightly warm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushstar

Reaction score
Got a Dimplex storage heater that is only getting very slightly warm, almost so slightly that you can only feel the heat by taking its cover off. It is an Dimplex XLS12N automatic storage heater located in a bathroom, it has a thermostat to automatically regulate its heat. I am guessing that the thermostat has gone. The thing has not tripped its little switch, is still getting power and importantly it is still getting that slightly bit warm. So I think it could be the thermostat. Anyone else had a similar experience with one of these heaters?

Not the input thermostat, the one in there is fine and even bypassed the heater only get slightly warm. Looking at it I'm not sure  fully understand the circuit in the heater. Seems to me that it will need to be replaced unless anyone else has an experience of this.

It's not rocket science.

there are two heating elements in parallel. these are fed via a service thermostat, and a safety trip thermostat. 

If the thermostats are open then the elements won't get hot at all.  If the main thermostat is cutting out too soon, then it will turn off when it's pnly tepid.

Get an electrician in, he will have the tools to test what's wrong and that will be a lot cheaper to fix it than just replace it.

Is it evenly warm or warm on one side / middle?
It is getting warm on both sides. I stripped it down to the bricks and they all felt equally warm.

If the thermostats are open then the elements won't get hot at all.  If the main thermostat is cutting out too soon, then it will turn off when it's pnly tepid.
I have replaced the thermostat and it behaves exactly the same.

perhaps this one is slightly more complicated than the xl12n?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DXXLS12N.html

Horrible things, storage heaters.
That one linked, the XLS12N is what I have. Here's a circuit diagram...

c7MJe6x.png

The charge controller seems to have a bimetallic strip in it and I'm starting to suspect it as it is the only other complicated thing in this heater. The thermostat is replaced and assumed good, the thermal safety cut out is not tripping, both the elements are getting warm. Did I mention that this thing only gets power from 12AM to 7AM, one of those cheaper energy deals. 

So you have replaced the most expensive thermostat and not fixed it. "fault finding by trial and error"

I suspect the "charge controller" and they are relatively cheap so try it.

I still maintain it would have been cheaper to get a guy in to test it and only replace the bit that has actually gone wrong.

Charge over nght is normal for storage heaters, that's what they do, take cheap rate nighrt electricity and store the heat from it.

There's only so many parts in this thing, when it is not the charge controller I'll replace the storage elements, when it is not that I'll suspect that it is cursed then give up and replace the entire unit, and when it is not that I'll realise that it was the supply all along.

This is the charge limiter and cutout that is now on its way to me.

http://www.storageheater.co.uk/dimpex/xl-xt/xls/xls12n/charge-limiter-cutout.html

It was the charge limiter cutout, the heater is now working again. Total cost of parts are not that far off a call out fee in the South East. If I could do it again I would bypass the thermostat and run the thing off normal mains to test.

storage heater .co .uk or capri Calvert electronics are oem manufacturers of storage heater parts, they stock parts that the manufacturers discontinued years ago.

Theu are quite helpful too but not very cheap.

:C

just teaching slip slap to suck eggs.