DIY solar battery storage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All connected up...But not working properly.
Battery is at 68%. Sun is shining, we're exporting over 2kw, so power should be going to the battery. However, when I turn the inverter on it's chucking 3kw out to the grid on top of what we are already exporting. I have export limiting set to 0w, export limiting turned on and failsafe on.
Other relevent settings: Self use on. Time of use off.

I wondered if the inverter was seeing the meter. The meter has a single green light and is showing a reading of the amount being exported. However, all the information screens for the meter on the inverter are showing 'null' which doesn't seem right? But then if the inverter can't see the meter it should be shutting down as per G100? Certainly not dumping power to the grid!

I have been searching the internet for possible causes. The kit comes with a second ct to measure power produced by the pv. I haven't connected this as I'm not concerned about how much I've produced. Also, as I've micro inverters that come into the consumer unit on 2 different circuits it's not possible anyway....But is it possible that it's a problem?

I've checked the meter CT clamp which is facing in the correct direction.

No warnings on the inverter screen.

Help!!!!!Please!!!!!!!

Have you checked your inverter settings. Should prioritise
Self use
Battery
Grid

Yes, I think so.
Self use = on
Battery = fox
Grid = g98=on

Can't understand why any export is occuring. Export limiting is set to zero, set to on, failsafe set to on.
No warnings on display about meter.:(

Solis customer service line is just playing me Rick Astley and Abba etc :( .
I've emailed them as well. Hopefully have an answer at some stage.
Obviously, had to turn it all off. Very disappointing!!

When you set the self use. Did you manually turn off the other settings. This caught me out when I first installed batterys

I downloaded the Solis setup manual that shows you what all the settings needed to be set at for pylontech (same as fox) install. When I get home I will send you the link.
Have you checked the meter setting in the inverter to make sure it comparison to your setup.

Solis customer service line is just playing me Rick Astley and Abba etc :( .
I've emailed them as well. Hopefully have an answer at some stage.
Obviously, had to turn it all off. Very disappointing!!
I always send a email to Solis. They do reply though upto 48 hour later. Once the conversation has started they reply pretty much instantly

I always send a email to Solis. They do reply though upto 48 hour later. Once the conversation has started they reply pretty much instantly
Excellent. My thoughts are that something is very off with the inverter regardless of other settings. Export limitation at 0w and switched on should overide exporting 3kw from the battery.

Have you turned on the self charge? Or have you set it to charge from grid at certain times?

Have you turned on the self charge? Or have you set it to charge from grid at certain times?
Charging from grid and discharge to grid are turned off. Havent seen a self charge option but assume that if the others are turned off then self charge is the default?

Last edited:
Yes. Timed from grid is set to stop.
I have quadruple and more checked all the settings.
The only thing I can see that's odd is that the com light on the acrel meter is not flashing red. The green run light is flashing. Which would seem to suggest an issue. However, inverter is not giving a fault status regarding this.
I have checked the voltage of the cable from the meter which is showing around 4.5v DC and the receiving port on the inverter which is showing similar. So it would appear that there is a connection between the 2.

No response from Solis for my service request yet, and it's not possible to get through on the phone.
Does anybody know for sure if the second CT that measures the PV production is an essential requirement?

Latest posts