DIY solar battery storage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The black coil in the first image is the one that comes with the clamp.
The white connector in the 2nd image is the female to female connector.
The blue rj45 end in blue in the 2nd image is the extension end in the garage

The last image shows the wylex unit in my house. The white cable from the left is the power. The small black and white cable is the clamp and the black wire is the other end of the rj45 extension 1674313140818..jpg1674313184133..jpg1674313215836..jpg

ITS supplied a DC switch to go between the battery and inverter. The cables from the inverter have the correct terminals to connect to the switch. However, the cables from the battery don't (battery to battery connectors supplied) and you have to cut a connector off and crimp round connectors on. I don't have the connector or a suitable crimping tool. Just wondering if I can get away with trapping the cable beneath the washer and bolt:?IMG_20230127_103332_329.jpg

Yeah, I'm not happy with it. Thanks for making my mind up for me. I've ordered the crimped connectors. Hoping my crimper is man enough for the job!🤞

Just realised that I've ordered the wrong size crimps anyway. Ah well, they may come in handy at some stage. Will have to think again.:(

So I've just bought Battery Cable Ring Crimps from ebay. 35mm2. Thinking I can fashion something to crimp them using the bench vice. I see there's a tool that basically punches the connector on.

I was going to comment. Can't you find the contact of your local tool hire or solar installers and shop around these first. Tbh buying a pre cripmpet set would be the quicker/cheaper option imo

I was going to comment. Can't you find the contact of your local tool hire or solar installers and shop around these first. Tbh buying a pre cripmpet set would be the quicker/cheaper option imo
There are suitable crimpers available on ebay for £16. The pre-crimped cable is £66. I could then resell as I'm unlikely to use again. However, I'll visit my local electrical shop and factors first, also ask my electrician who I'll need to connect to CU.👍

The Solis hybrid inverter and fox battery I have both call for external grounding. Do I need to install a grounding rod or do I connect to CU earth?

Sorry berserkerboy. I'm not allowed to answer this one. Binky said Ive got to leave the electrical side to the expert's 😜
Though I do know grounding and earthing are not the same (technically)

Latest posts