Do I need a new consumer unit?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Must be a North South divide thing, you make a claim ON your insurance against someone or something that has caused you to open a claim against.

Gentlemen, let us not argue the point. I really don't want to lock it. Just agree to disagree.:)

The loss is what you have insured against.

sorry but I don't see the point you are trying to make, you seem to be on both sides of the discussion, at the same time!

Sorry, youre deluded on this one.

In every insurance claim I've had (not many thankfully) the loss adjuster has always tried to reduce the value of my claim. I've always stood my ground and if necessary gone to court.
We had a freezer fail, we lost quite a lot of food due to the failure and I itemised the items, got the costs from the local morrisons and submitted my claim. The loss adjuster piped up 'Could I have the receipts for the food items, without the receipts you cant prove they were there' Even with receipts I dont see how it proved they were there and lost. Thankfully, the bin hadnt been emptied, I boxed all the rotting food up and sent it via courier to the loss adjuster. We got paid in full. I was livid that I had been with the same insurers 25 years at thye time, not a single claim and there they go accusing of potential fraud.

Tell me, do loss adjusters ever increase the value of a claim if the claimant isnt claiming enough?
Yes, we had a chip pan fire. The adjuster added all kinds of things which we hadn't claimed for...

Yes, we had a chip pan fire. The adjuster added all kinds of things which we hadn't claimed for...
Some are good guys.

I always think the worst thing they do is insist on using their own trades people. It takes forever to get them out, quote for work and eventually do the job, unless it's something straight forward.

A neighbour had a fire, they were out of their house for nearly a year despite it only really damaging the lounge. Daft thing is, you can get your own guys to do it quicker and cheaper. I've known customers who have managed to do that and send the insurance the bill. Insurance companies shoot themselves in the foot, all the time my neighbours were out of the house they were living in hotels and eventually a tented house. Must have cost as much as the repairs .

I always think the worst thing they do is insist on using their own trades people.
And don't even check the work they do

Had a couple of jobs in the last 5 - 6 years where insurance company trades people where used on one job I had fitted an intruder alarm a few years before and a burst pipe in the loft flooded the house as part of the repairs the alarm system was replaced with a Veritas R8 when the original panel was a Veritas Excel all wired with EOL resistors, it came to light when the alarm developed a fault and I was called to repair it I wrote a report and quoted to return the system to it's original spec this was presented to the insurance company and they agreed to paying me to carry out the work. On another job I had gone in to replace some failing down lights and some years earlier some insurance repair work had been done which involved battening out a ceiling and fitting cladding panels the problem was one row of downlights had been cut into the underside of a joist and the 12v MR16 halogen lamps had caused some bad charring of the joist also the 6 lighting transformers were also inaccessable the customer contacted the insurance company who wanted to send their pet contractor back which the customer refused and got them to pay out for me and a builder to repair

I think Mr Smith needs summoning via the 'incantation' and do some arse kicking
Mr Smith sold off the forum...

Now, I've just got back in from a little long hot day at work. Quite frankly I've had better things to do than worry if a thread has gone off tangent yet again and needs splitting off to a new thread. But as you may have noticed I try to leave things alone if it's doing no real harm.. I'm now off for a much needed shower,, kindly drop bickering about trivia, or as Binky said, volunteer your services if you think you can do a better job. We could do with more admins if you have the time. You could apply the force yourself then 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.