Do I Need To Earth My Wood Burng Hot Tub?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you could probably wrap it in some insulation,

but,

Im thinking it wont be cheap for the sort of stuff you'd need to withstand the heat it would be exposed to,

normal insulation would just melt and possibly catch light.

The circuit I used was just copper pipe and compression elbows at the top of the drum. As much as I could fit in. The water naturally comes in cold from the bottom of the tub and out the top pipe boiling hot back into the tub. Takes a while to heat though!

thanks Steptoe. I would be really pissed off if I went to the effort of earthing it and still got fried.

Here you go. There's a plethora of these builds on YouTube tbh, all variations on a theme. This one I think is quite good from www.instructables.com. A bit mad for some involving chopping up old LPG cylinders but it takes a tank similar to the OP's one and insulates it heavily for a start. The old LPG tank is for the burner & heat exchanger:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-a-wood-fired-hot-tub/

With the link just keep clicking "Next". You could cut and paste into one document if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eat lots of beans!

I was toying with the idea of getting a lay z spa heater off eBay and rigging it up. They go for about £80. But was again unsure if I would then need to put a ground rod in?

To be honest I wouldn't earth this system. There's no electrical components in it so it's purely a lightning consideration. If you're not going to extend the chimney any higher and I assume you're not going to be having hot-tub parties in lightning storms then lightning protection isn't necessary. If you extend the chimney above the gutter level I might consider knocking a rod in the ground and connecting the chimney but even then it's probably not necessary. 

Firstly, i take my hat off to the OP that is brilliant, keep us updated please.

Secondly i cant see a reason to earth it, where did the talk of lightning come from?

Firstly, i take my hat off to the OP that is brilliant, keep us updated please.

Secondly i cant see a reason to earth it, where did the talk of lightning come from?
Erm........that would be from me. I read metal cage / garden / water etc.

Is that one of the 1000L tubs you see advertised? 1000 x 1200 x 1000 deep? Do them round my way for about £60.