Does anyone buy materials online?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Reaction score
Just out of interest. With the price of alot of gear online as cheap, if not cheaper than some of your local trade wholesalers does anyone buy consumer units, accessories, even cable from online suppliers?

Theres always a place for the local wholesaler. Especially when you need stuff in a hurry. Although do any other sparks use any internet companies and if so which ones do you recommend?

Who are SF and TS?

Im just curious as to what I may be able to save, and have more selection/choice from a supplier online.

Say I needed a consumer unit for a job towards the middle of the week. No hurry. Maybe a few extra bits and bobs. Is it worth a punt?

only problem with likes of SF is they dont give trade discounts

But at least they have catalogs, so you can easily get prices (they go to wholesaler, who are probably cheaper)

only problem with likes of SF is they dont give trade discountsBut at least they have catalogs, so you can easily get prices (they go to wholesaler, who are probably cheaper)
SF is cheaper than me going into a wholesaler as joe public and buying someting. Are things vastly cheaper from the Wholesaler vs online? If you add in the time traveling and ordering?

SF is cheaper than me going into a wholesaler as joe public and buying someting. Are things vastly cheaper from the Wholesaler vs online? If you add in the time traveling and ordering?
depends where you go though - like you said its 30 miles for you

my local wholesaler is about 2 mile down the road, i have a 2x screwfix about 5 mile away (one north, one south) and another to the south west about 10 mile....

and there is probably about 10-15 (probably more) wholesalers all within 10 miles of me, so lots of competition between them.

but i mostly use the same place, so get discount with them. dont use the others much so they dont give me as much discount as their regulars

I use local wholesaler and they take my order over the phone and deliver to job site next day, not used online supplier or SF for electrical gear for yonks as its cheaper at wholesaler and more so now they phone up twice/three times a month with some real good specials - last week they were doing 2.5 t&e @ around

Our background is traditional electrical wholesaling. We have found that there is very little take up by existing account customers on our trade counters of the website. The markets seem to be very different. If you have established a good relationship with your local wholesaler, along with competitive discounts, why not use them. Thats what they are there for, give them the hard work of sourcing products for you while you fit the stuff.