Does Anyone Know How This Works ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
 Sorry nothing electrical ....that was just to drag you in .  ;)  

Commercial  Radio stations who play the same records over & over again  , year in , year out . 

I'm not a great fan of commercial radio ...well it needs to get the ads on the air & plays records to keep you listening .

I don't know if these stations are only in the Midlands so bare with me.

When I go to the print works I hear Heart FM   all day .  Usually the same songs I heard last time , the usual inane DJ babble in between, & brainwashing adverts . 

I heard of someone who wrote to them asking why they play the same records all the time .............answer ..If you don't like it , listen to another station .   Theres lovely. :eek:

I'm more familiar with Smooth FM  .  My regular builder always has it on ... the playlist is from  about 1968  to 1978 .

I did two new buillds in Warwickshire with them so there for some weeks ...3 years ago ,  still work them today, exactly the same songs playing today  !!! :(

They have 2 Elvis records, never play anything other than Suspicious Minds & In the Ghetto .

He Aint Heavy..... Dock of the Fecking Bay ,,,,over & over again ,, ad. infinitum . Under the Bleedin' Boardwalk & You're so Sodding Vain :( Until you never want to hear them ever again. 

I don't mind  music from that era but cannot understand why a station ignores everything before and after .

There has to be a reason .... do they pay the PRS  for a 5 year deal on those tracks or what ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't normally listen to commercial radio, the one exception being Planet Rock.

The last week we have had a lot of cold and a lot of snow, so we were almost forced to listen to the local commercial station Moray Firth Radio just to listen for the School closures list to see if we were having a lie in or not.  Boy what a total load of dross that is, I swear the time given to adverts exceeds the time given to playing music.

I particularly dislike things like "travel news next" then there's 5 minutes of adverts before you get the travel news.

If I'm in the car and the radio station is playing averts or just inane chatter, then I just select a different channel.

As for commercial tv, well the humble PVR sorts out ever having to watch adverts.

Heart FM...................................turn that shite off.........................Matt & Michelle do my nut in, the pair of them are as funny as a fart in a space suit, but it's her drone of a voice that makes me cringe so much so I've never listened to any other presenters.

Did the same with radio 1 years ago when they brought in that cackling muppet Sarah Cox, babbles carp like some insane village idiot ................... hence why radio 2 is off the play list now she has gone there.

I have tuned in on my radio 

• Absolute radio 80's/90's/rock
  • 5 live (football)
  • radio 4 (cricket)

So Heart FM is a national station then  :(    There is some broadcasting ruling that a station MUST give a station ident . every now & then .  So Heart does it about  1000 times per hour .   I asked the older people at the printers why they have the inane , repetitive, yoof based babble on every day specially at that volume . 

" We have to put up with it , no choice , the younger employees HAVE to have it on "     :(      I've pulled the fuse on the radio socket  circuit a few times . all the youngsters fall over and lie twitching on the floor , gasping for air .  Wack the fuse back & they spring up again looking somewhat bemused and continue with their tasks. 

To answer your question Deke... money... the record companies pay the radio stations to play their songs, he who pays the most get their song repeated most. :(

It's the same with the charts... they do not represent actual music sales.

:|

Latest posts