Doubts about Socket testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirLouen

Reaction score
I wondered if socket testers like Fluke ST120 stress too much, the circuits, specially when hitting the RCD button tester. After all, it sends a forced shock to the RCD and could end up burning it?

If I have, for example, an installation with 80 sockets, with around 10 sockets per RCD I will be hitting 10 times per test. I assume that one test could be necessary, but doing repetitive tests (1 per year, for example), could be abusive? I must assume that for professionality, the electricians must have done their job, but to avoid doubts, I like to restest just everything (I must say that many times I've seen finished jobs without proper testing).

In fact, after a family member has accomplished an electricity installation, I like to help them to test with socket testers among other tools, but today I was wondering if I was stressing too much their circuits because of the nature of these testers.

Socket testers are no substitute for proper test kit
Yes, I know they just one component within the whole kit.

But my question is more directed about the usage of them and the fact that they stress the circuits with their RCD testers from every single socket.

Why are you testing the RCD at the socket outlets?

imo RCD's should be tested at worst conditions, i.e at the socket, not the RCD terminals. if it fails to trip when tested at a socket but will pass if tested at the RCD terminals then quite simply its not fit for purpose. how many people get a shock from touching the terminals of the RCD compared to something plugged in or on the fixed wiring?

arguably, he's also not really testign them in any meaningful way, since that tester appears to only be a resistive load L-E enough to cause the imbalce but not tell you how long it took

The issue is that the parameters of the test equipment and the limits in BS7671 are from the product test.
I don’t disagree that a test at the socket outlets is more realistic, but that changes the characteristics.
The test equipment is not adequate to identify the difference, that circuit characteristics can introduce, and how this changes the expected results against the product standard testing.
To test at an outlet the test parameters will need to be changed to match the circuit characteristics for each socket outlet.

I wondered if socket testers like Fluke ST120

Yes, I know they just one component within the whole kit.
they are not really a component part of a test kit , the best they will tell you is that you have some power at the socket
they don't tell what the voltage is at the socket ("sold in US store, operate on (110-120) volts")
they don't tell how fast the RCD will trip (this is what we test for "tripping time ")
they don't tell what current the RCD trips at (again we test tripping current at 6 different levels)
I do use one to tell me if I have the correct MCB turned off (my one gives off a buzzing noise if there is power) before I test for dead

do use one to tell me if I have the correct MCB turned off (my one gives off a buzzing noise if there is power) before I test for dead
With a bit of ingenuity in creating a 'customised connecting lead 🤔😉' along with a pair of walkie talkies set to 'monitor' they can help in identifying a supply whilst randomly switching off remote circuit breakers😂😂

RS components have a piece of kit that plugs into a remote socket and indicates the MCB its connected to at the DB, can't find it on the web site at the moment, but will dig mine out later and see if its identified and post a link.

These fuse finders have been around for years. Kewtech make one.
I have a Martindale version of that in my kit. I rarely use it.

The RS Pro model was invaluable to trace the MCB's on a four story twenty five roomed house, it took some getting used to, but following the instructions for the unit proved its worth and no need for walkie talkies. 😜