Downlight spacing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So they would be almost half a metre between them, sounds ok for me but whatever you feel you need. You mentioned shadows potentially being a problem, fitting 3 would mitigate that issue.
Suppose as mentioned above l could always fit 2 and if need be fit the 3rd.

That reply was to someone who replied to me. Stating the obvious that it was a small room 🤷🏻‍♂️
I wasn't being sarcastic i thought you had put up the wrong measurements. This is where more info saves confusion.

I wasn't being sarcastic i thought you had put up the wrong measurements. This is where more info saves confusion.
Not here for an argument I’m here for help as there is a lot of helpful people here. I did explain I’d made a small mistake in not mentioning cloakroom “toilet”

If I’m up against joists, am I good just to drill through them to get cable through? Thanks for everyone’s help

I’m not to sure the lights/bulbs haven’t arrived yet just trying to get prepared for when they do.
The problem with LED lighting is the lumens / watt can vary quite a lot and can be the difference between more than enough light or very little light or somewhere in between the two all for the same wattage, so you need to factor that into your planning

Can't really figure out why you've bought a pack of 3? if you think 2 may be all you need?
(These aren't one of those 12v downlight sets that come with readymade lengths of plug-in leads that go from lamp back to the driver.. and/or don't give you the option of only using 2 lamps?)

Do these light fittings have built in lamps or are they just cans with removable GU10 LED's?

If they are removable GU10's then you can get a heck of a lot of light variation by selecting lamps with varying; Lumens.. Colour intensity e.g. warm cool, where more Kelvins=cooler..
and Beam angle, many GU10's are approx 40degree beam angle, but 60's 90's 120's etc.. can be found..

So a higher lumen plus wider beam angle will give less shading issues.

Our downstairs loo is 1200mm x 85mm that has 2x GU10's plus a fan in the ceiling..

If you've got the lights and the lamps are removeable..
you may as well just fit all three to start with as you can always put lower brightness lamps in if you find it a bit too over the top?

If they are light fittings with integrated LEDs with no replaceable lamps...
Don't fit them.. send them back & get a refund..
Then buy some with removable lamps!

I have. Found 2. Any advice on how to get them past if I can’t drill through them?

Leave it as it was a whole lot of faffing around for a space which needs no more than what is already there plus the fact you have no idea what you are doing. If you are that intent to guild the lily then get an electrician involved.

Can't really figure out why you've bought a pack of 3? if you think 2 may be all you need?
(These aren't one of those 12v downlight sets that come with readymade lengths of plug-in leads that go from lamp back to the driver.. and/or don't give you the option of only using 2 lamps?)

Do these light fittings have built in lamps or are they just cans with removable GU10 LED's?

If they are removable GU10's then you can get a heck of a lot of light variation by selecting lamps with varying; Lumens.. Colour intensity e.g. warm cool, where more Kelvins=cooler..
and Beam angle, many GU10's are approx 40degree beam angle, but 60's 90's 120's etc.. can be found..

So a higher lumen plus wider beam angle will give less shading issues.

Our downstairs loo is 1200mm x 85mm that has 2x GU10's plus a fan in the ceiling..

If you've got the lights and the lamps are removeable..
you may as well just fit all three to start with as you can always put lower brightness lamps in if you find it a bit too over the top?

If they are light fittings with integrated LEDs with no replaceable lamps...
Don't fit them.. send them back & get a refund..
Then buy some with removable lamps!
They came as a pack of 3. And didn’t want to pick intergrated ones so choose ones with bulbs so if to bright or to dull l could change the bulbs. But after checking google I came across all sorts of distances for fitting them away from walls and creating shadows etc hence this post this is why I’m here asking for advice. Think I’m going to go for 2 out of the 3 but I’ve not realised I need to pass 2 joists. Would you have any advice on passing joists to get to a light fitting? Thanks

Leave it as it was a whole lot of faffing around for a space which needs no more than what is already there plus the fact you have no idea what you are doing. If you are that intent to guild the lily then get an electrician involved.
Actually got a good idea what l’m doing. Not a pro but please correct me if I’m wrong. Last time I checked this was a DlY forum is it not, where you’re supposed to get some sort of useful help. You seem to give great expert advice on here btw 👏🏻

Your advice has been as good as a chocolate watch.

Actually got a good idea what l’m doing. Not a pro but please correct me if I’m wrong. Last time I checked this was a DlY forum is it not, where you’re supposed to get some sort of useful help. You seem to give great expert advice on here btw 👏🏻
Well you don't have a good idea as to what you are doing so my advice for getting an electrician involved is apt.

Latest posts