E-stops on production lines

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franck

Reaction score
I am led to believe that e-stops on production lines must stop the whole line,e.g. conveyors, machines and belts unless it is something that would cause another hazard like a pump which if stopped would injure somebody.

Is this true because I heard that the HSE would want it this way.

I am led to believe that e-stops on production lines must stop the whole line,e.g. conveyors, machines and belts unless it is something that would cause another hazard like a pump which if stopped would injure somebody.Is this true because I heard that the HSE would want it this way.
It is not my area, but I'm sure you'll have an answer soon.

(I have worked in EM environments)

It does seem logical though that a EM stop would halt all that is required (and not cause injury in the process).

Don

YEP, tis true,

it must stop everything that may cuase potential harm without stopping something that if stopped may cause greater harm,!!

and do so without the use of voltage. (!)

the exact reasoning and items to be stopped would be the subject of a RISK ASSESEMENT

tho I would usually kill everything, very seldom would you leave anything live.

IT systems come to mind in this instance tho!!!

but I would doubt if moving machinery of any kind would be exempt from being stopped (?)

have you considered a cable stop rather than push buttons? (if a conveyor system)

Generally E-stops are fitted throughout the whole production process & are usually fitted at certain key areas of the machinery. ie: A conveyer leading to another part of the process, that whilst stopping a particular key area it does not stop every machine in the factrory, that would just be stoopid. :)

thats just about right but don't forget certain manufacturing processes require a timed sequence start-up ie. the end of the line starts first then the rest of the process line starts at predetermined times

yours benji

Yep, you are right there benji.

Im not much for posting long drawn out explanations & knew there would be other "Add-ons" to what I did. :)

KME will probably give you a scoob for that one mate. :)