Earth Rods (Tt)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrics_new

Reaction score
and i don't mean a audi..................

hi all,

not been here for a while.......... trust the usual suspects are well.

ok put a TT connection in today and got 133 ohm reading.  I know it's been wet (rod installed in basement) i took the rod beneath ground level by one inch.  Do i need to go further - as i know in the summer reading won't be below 200 ohms - fitted rcd to the board ???????????

How far can i go down before i hit water, oil, gold ????

thanks in advance

ps no earth in place before i got there.

apologies typo above 200 ohms in the summer 

You are within guidelines. It is up to you if you wish to improve on that reading or not.

Essex1 - cheers for that.

it's a tough call as the previous sparkey put in a new DB and just connected a 16mm wire from DB to mains supply which had no earthing.  In fact when i took a reading (Zs) it was 2.79 MOhms.

Which is why i banged in a rod and RCD for the main board !

the basement had a concrete floor - took enough out and put in a earth rod. 

issue with back to back property no where else for the rod.  Basement was only option.................

it looked like a tnc connection........... sparkey put on two clamps ( 5 years ago) called out electricity board today and they said no earth is supplied and earth wire from mains supply is useless.  Advised a rod....................

the basement had a concrete floor - took enough out and put in a earth rod. 

issue with back to back property no where else for the rod.  Basement was only option.................
I still don't understand "I took the rod beneath ground level by one inch"...

Does this mean that you only knocked 1" in or does it mean that the top of the rod is 1" below ground level?

it looked like a tnc connection........... sparkey put on two clamps ( 5 years ago) called out electricity board today and they said no earth is supplied and earth wire from mains supply is useless.  Advised a rod....................
LOL,,, at one point they used 951 clamps,,, now they deny all knowledge and say clamp must have been DIY

the 1.2 meter rod is 1" below ground.

so i can only see the tip of the 1.2 m rod as it's been embedded into the ground.

LOL,,, at one point they used 951 clamps,,, now they deny all knowledge and say clamp must have been DIY
that sounds familiar... basically they made a mistake and bodged it (like CU manufacturers). now that there is a problem, change the rules to absolve them of any blame for the mistake...

Am I being thick or does

the 1.2 meter rod is 1" below ground.
imply that 1" of a 1.2m rod is below the ground leaving approx 1.175m sticking out

so i can only see the tip of the 1.2 m rod as it's been embedded into the ground.
imply that the whole of the 1.2m rod is 1" below ground level... meaning that the earth connection isn't accessible

Or do 5am starts not agree with me???

Am I being thick or does

imply that 1" of a 1.2m rod is below the ground leaving approx 1.175m sticking out

imply that the whole of the 1.2m rod is 1" below ground level... meaning that the earth connection isn't accessible

Or do 5am starts not agree with me???
I am with you on this.