earthing arrangements

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboysparks

Reaction score
Hello to you all (forum virgin)

Do supply company's have to supply an earth?

A friend of mine bought an old cottage recently and asked if I could go check the electrics as he wanted a temporary supply so that he could refurbish the cottage so i went and was surprised to find the only earth was by a 6mm earth cable connected to a bib tap above an old Belfast sink I fitted an earth rod and put up a new temporary board rcd protected etc and told him to phone the electricity supplier and ask if they could supply an earth they told him it would cost

Hi Fatboy (that doesnt sound right,,)

I believe they do not have to supply an earth

where there is no earth then TT is the way to go as you have already done saves you

As I understand it, if the supplier had Originally provided an earth then they are responsible to maintain it. If they have never provided an earth then It is down to the installing electrician to provide an earth, TT.

I've had a few arguments with suppliers saying that they have to maintain the earth that they have provided and they say they do not have any records so they assume no earth provided even if its clewrly tns. They say bang a rod in and tt it. Definitely the cheaper option :)

I was told years ago by Central Networks (Then MEB) that they were NOT obliged to supply an earth , just a 240V , single phase 50Hz supply . However they are supposed to maintain an existing one ( Yeah right!!)

They definitely won't give you an earth on a temporary supply they are not allowed too. Its probably easier to leave it as TT after building work is done as it will probably need total RCD protection unless you have surface wiring.