Earthing/bonding questions re. garden shed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an existing 3-core armoured cable from the house to an external junction box that then powers several lights, all properly wired up. The cable is more than adequate to supply higher current, and is protected by a RCBO in the house.

I want to add a spur from the junction box to a new (fully-weather-proof) shed.

I will fit a four-way consumer unit on a plywood panel, with a main switch and two RCBOs, one for lights, one for sockets.

That all seems straight-forward (agree?) but the shed is a METAL FRAME, built rather like a shipping container, which arrived as a flat-pack, and rests on bricks. I want advice on earthing/bonding, please.

Shall I just add an earthing rod to the shed, and that ' shed earth' is always separate from the 'power supply earth'?

Or, shall I ALSO connect the two earths together? Without doing that, would a (line)-(shed earth) fault always guarantee to trip the RCBOs?

(I presume NOT having an earthing rod would always rely too much on the quality of the house wiring.)

No-one dies from adding too many earths or bonding, so no doubt I am making a mountain out of a molehill. But I am interested in the underlying issues from experts.

Why a CU in the shed?
What rating of breaker is there protecting the existing cable?

Also fitting a CU falls under part P - who is testing and certifying this ?