Earthing query

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevemul

Reaction score
Could someone please explain why my earthing is to the house side of the gas meter rather than the incoming pipe? I would have thought that a more reliable earthing would be from the gas mains pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_1822.jpeg
    IMG_1822.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
probably something to do with the regs stating its to be on the consumer side of the meter. it should also be before that tee

its also not there to earth the house...
It's surprising how often you see it after a tee at the meter
Did an EICR recently and the smart meter monkey had left a warning notice regarding the position of the earth bond on the gas

Could someone please explain why my earthing is to the house side of the gas meter rather than the incoming pipe? I would have thought that a more reliable earthing would be from the gas mains pipe.
As most service pipes are plastic these days and those that aren't are getting gradually replaced they don't provide any continuity to earth at all

That is not your earthing..

It is an equipotential bonding conductor connected back to your electrical main earth terminal. This is to ensure that all extraneous metal parts inside the property are at the same potential as electrical earth.

Your earthing will either be via the suppliers incoming cable or via your own earth arrangements (e.g. typically an earth rod).

Gas and Water pipe are prohibited as a means of earthing for an electrical installation.

Possible the Tee was put in after the bond, but should have been moved up before tee at the time
It's usually the case that the boiler fitter has added a new pipe for the new boiler and not bothered to move the bond although I have been to an installation where the bond was moved on the pipe to the wrong side of the new tee so the tee could be installed

It's surprising how often you see it after a tee at the meter
Did an EICR recently and the smart meter monkey had left a warning notice regarding the position of the earth bond on the gas
Incoming gas main should have a main bonding conductor within 600mm of the meter outlet (gs regs)

Incoming gas main should have a main bonding conductor within 600mm of the meter outlet (gs regs)
if not accessible ie customer has expensive flooring you wouldn't want to disturb, and there is no other suitable access, you can bond elsewhere. 600mm is the recommendation, but not set in stone. You need to test that a suitable earth path is still achieved back to the main incoming point, not hard as there is far more copper in a gas pipe than a 10mm bond cable, and it is advisable to note location of bond on the board. NB this is not acceptable on a new build, when there is no excuse for not bonding at the incoming point, but can be done for upgrading an old bond, such as when changing a board.

If the incoming gas main is plastic it doesn't need bonding so there is no "should have" about it

And the point I was making was the smart meter monkey had left a warning notice regarding the position of the earth bond on the gas relative to the tee that was fitted between the bonding and the meter and the bonding was within 300mm of the meter