Economy 7 shower!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadspark

Reaction score
Had a call from a customer who had just had his shower room renovated. A "spark" who was a friend of chaps son had done the electrical work. A new shower had replaced an existing one but moved and a new isolator fitted with a switch outside the door instead of a ceiling pullcord. Original shower was fed from a 30 amp wylex 3036 board in 6mm with no RCD. Spark said it needed RCD protection and 40 amp MCB as new shower is 9.5kw. Borderline for 6mm but cable run is about 10 metres and doesn't pass through insulation so acceptable. The Spark put in a small insulated garage unit which looked second hand. Customer had to call him back when MCB wouldn't stay up. Next fault was when he went to have a shower after gardening and found shower not working. It did however work first thing in the morning every morning. He worked out the shower was only coming on when the Economy 7 was on which is great for saving money but does restrict your shower times. He called me as he had lost faith in the other Spark. The neutral for the garage unit was in meter tails connected to an existing henley block. The live meter tail had been looped from the adjacent Economy 7 wylex 3036 board presumably because he didn't have a long enough piece of tail to reach the henley block with the 24 hour live supply. I swapped the tail over and hey presto the shower still didn't work. The faulty MCB was still faulty so I swapped it for a new one. Shower now working and one happy new customer for me. I don't think the other spark was in a scheme as no paper work and even less knowledge about Economy 7.

Latest posts