EIC or PIR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heathelect

Domestic Installer
Reaction score
I am a NICEIC registerd domestic installer. If i change a consumer unit i have to test the whole installation and issue an EIC. As I have tested the whole installation could this also be classed as a PIR, but as a domestic installer I am not allowed to do a PIR under the banner of the NICEIC, WHY, Anyone got any thoughts or ideas ???????

regrds dave Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

I am a NICEIC registerd domestic installer. If i change a consumer unit i have to test the whole installation and issue an EIC. As I have tested the whole installation could this also be classed as a PIR, but as a domestic installer I am not allowed to do a PIR under the banner of the NICEIC, WHY, Anyone got any thoughts or ideas ???????regrds dave Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink
AFAIK it covers a couple of areas..

1/ If you change a CU the actual work you are signing for is the "Consumer unit" NOT the condition of whole installation, e.g. you are not required to go opening up a sample of sockets & switches etc..

2/ Certain organisations specifically request a PIR done by an NICEIC contractor on NIC headed certificates, (this affects insurance for the building and other bits).. These include many commercial applications.. e.g. Pub's & Clubs', some Landlords etc.. a council entertainments licence may specify an NIEEIC PIR.

If every Dom Inst could issue PIR's on NIC PIR paper, this would devalue the PIR requires standard or the above instances.

e.g. a spark may be competent to re-wire a Domestic dwelling..

But may not be able to PIR a three phase supply in a night club!

So NICEIC want to ensure PIR competence as a separate issue. IMHO! ;)

I am a NICEIC registerd domestic installer. If i change a consumer unit i have to test the whole installation and issue an EIC. As I have tested the whole installation could this also be classed as a PIR, but as a domestic installer I am not allowed to do a PIR under the banner of the NICEIC, WHY, Anyone got any thoughts or ideas ???????regrds dave Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink
they want you to pay them more to use their logo for PIR's. If you feel competent to carry out PIR's, then just go ahead and either use 7671 model forms of the NIC green forms

they want you to pay them more to use their logo for PIR's. If you feel competent to carry out PIR's, then just go ahead and either use 7671 model forms of the NIC green forms[/quoteAgreed, if you competent enought and have the experience of doing PIRS then go out and issue your own.

As for the bit about whether to issue EIC or PIR when i had my inspection from NIC he said always use a EIC for a mains change, on the actual day i was unsure so i had a EIC and PIR ready forhim, he said to me why have you done a PIR for a cu change, as you touch and modify each circuit he therefore said EIC is required but obviously noted down that its a CU chage and note any departures in the correct place etc etc.

AFAIK it covers a couple of areas..1/ If you change a CU the actual work you are signing for is the "Consumer unit" NOT the condition of whole installation, e.g. you are not required to go opening up a sample of sockets & switches etc..

2/ Certain organisations specifically request a PIR done by an NICEIC contractor on NIC headed certificates, (this affects insurance for the building and other bits).. These include many commercial applications.. e.g. Pub's & Clubs', some Landlords etc.. a council entertainments licence may specify an NIEEIC PIR.

If every Dom Inst could issue PIR's on NIC PIR paper, this would devalue the PIR requires standard or the above instances.

e.g. a spark may be competent to re-wire a Domestic dwelling..

But may not be able to PIR a three phase supply in a night club!

So NICEIC want to ensure PIR competence as a separate issue. IMHO! ;)
I agree about them not letting a DI issue their IPR2 forms on commercial or industrial but when they have a form specificaly for domestic DPR4 and your a member of their DI scheme they should let you use that form.

Think it might have something to do with getting more money from you. I'm sure I've read somewhere amongst all the literature NIC give you that as a DI you can undertake a seperate assessment (and pay a fee of course) which will then authorise you to issue PIR's with their logo on.

I agree about them not letting a DI issue their IPR2 forms on commercial or industrial but when they have a form specificaly for domestic DPR4 and your a member of their DI scheme they should let you use that form.
Its actually the same price as going full contractor status with NICEIC, hence I haven't bothered, cos you don't need a pretty logo to safely PIR a domestic. I've also have the view that to safely install in domestic you have to be able to inspect so I get very annoyed at being expected to pay extra for a supposedly higher status.

Thanks for replies gents, ive been doing EICs and PIRs for 20+years now competently,domestic,industrial and commercial, ive all the test equipment, books and paperwork and knowledge,even now at 49 ive started the 17th edition course then doing testing course, but it grieves me when the government says i have to prove my competence to be able to do domestic work. ]:) ] :) ]:) ] :)

I have to agree I have done my city and guilds pat testing, my 2391 and other useless exams but to get recognition from the niceic as to my ability to issue pir's or pat certificates depends on if I pay more!

Or I can issue green forms to state I am working outside my scope, lol

I have to agree I have done my city and guilds pat testing, my 2391 and other useless exams but to get recognition from the niceic as to my ability to issue pir's or pat certificates depends on if I pay more!Or I can issue green forms to state I am working outside my scope, lol
You don't need the NIC's approval to do a PIR, however one should be confident in doing such.

(Issue Periodic Inspection Reports under your own banner)

Don

Or I can issue green forms to state I am working outside my scope, lol
you do not need to say your working outside your scope. just fill in report the same way as you would on a purple/red/whatever colour form you would use

Whilst I can see why a time seved spark may feel annoyed at having to prove their ability, Its for our own benefit to keep cowboys out, or for that matter to ensure you are up to current legislation.

As a driving instructor we have to do check tests and cpd-so being a profession I think its a good thing essentually.