Eicr Discovery Possibly Affecting 14 Houses

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
Inspection on a rented  terraced property,,,,,,,

Identified the ccts but hit a problem with the smoke alarms

no green mains light.....took it down and discovered it had never been connected ffs

neither had the other 2

houses are about 15 years old

Concerned I knocked on their neighbours house.......guess what no green light not connected  another rented property !!!!!

couldn't get any answer at the other properties so going to write a letter to them tonite.

additional problem is that they will all be out of date !!!!!   expired 2012 june.....

lets see what happens  and will be interesting how many others are rented

Last month i was  looking at a neighbours house that had just had a loft conversion. It had 3 stand-alone  battery only smokes fitted ( one on each landing) , when i commented on this she replied the council building control had been in & signed the job off

the smoke alarm cct is all run and linked but the smoke units were not connected to the alarms themselves

not plugged in nor connected to choc block,,,,,and no battery either !!!!

I'm confused.

All connected up and interlinked, but not connected and no battery?

What exactly do you mean then?

Were the interlinking wires connected to the bases?  no that can't be it, as you could not then avoid connecting them.

So they must be those horrible ones where the plug into the smoke has flying leads, that you have to provide a choc box for and poke it up into a hole in the ceiling? is that right?

So the "installer" couldn't be rsed to connect the flying leads to the interlinking wires?  but he must have connected the interlinking wires to something (the choc box?) or were they left flapping about bare in the ceiling.

And are the interlinking wires live, or did he "forget" to terminate them at the CU as well?

Sorry I'm just not understanding what you actually found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave

Bang on  fly lead not connected no battery fitted

interlinked ok and tested ok

Those BRK ones are a real pain. I did a job recently and the guy running the job provided them brought through SF. Now I always use Ei esifit ones and haven't used the BRK ones foe over ten years. The extra cost of a junction box connectors and the time to fit the batteries also cut a hole in the ceiling was quite astonishing. I really am surprised anybody buys them.

Canoeboy said:
Thoery - You can use the Mark Solved buton on the post Dave made (that answered the problem) - New ish feature and works well
Don't see it mate

Latest posts