Elecsa assessment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alchemist

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Elesca assessment next week and have some questions for those of you who have already done one.

I have done some notifiable work at home and have not notified, because I wanted to self certify and notify through Elesca later - is this a problem?

I have lots of work done at home as exmaples, but i'm picking a couple of specific ones to show - a CCU upgrade and a socket spur. Will the asessor be happy to ignore other work i've done for the sake of the assessment? Not because I want to hide them, but because it would take ages to show everything.

One thing playing on my mind is that I have also run a feed out to a shed and put lighting and power out there. It is all correct with the exception of the cable size I used, which is fine for current capacity but not for volt drop if the full design current is used (which it never is while I own the house). I did the work before I had finished my course and got the calcs wrong (several months ago). Is it reasonable to state that the volt drop is not an issue because despite the MCB rating, the power actually used doesn't cause any vd problems? I think not, because someone can draw the full design current through and will get unacceptable volt drop - although in reality my supply is 14v above the nominal 230 used when the circuit was designed, so would still be perfectly adequate. Unfortunately I think I will have to install bigger cables or reduce the design current by installing something to limit consumption e.g. a fused spur before the shed CCU labelled as MAX 5A, or whatever is needed?

Generally speaking, what sort of things are they likely ask me, and what will they want to see with respect to the practical examples?

Thanks

Hi,

I have an Elesca assessment next week and have some questions for those of you who have already done one.

I have done some notifiable work at home and have not notified, because I wanted to self certify and notify through Elesca later - is this a problem?

I have lots of work done at home as exmaples, but i'm picking a couple of specific ones to show - a CCU upgrade and a socket spur. Will the asessor be happy to ignore other work i've done for the sake of the assessment? Not because I want to hide them, but because it would take ages to show everything.

One thing playing on my mind is that I have also run a feed out to a shed and put lighting and power out there. It is all correct with the exception of the cable size I used, which is fine for current capacity but not for volt drop if the full design current is used (which it never is while I own the house). I did the work before I had finished my course and got the calcs wrong (several months ago). Is it reasonable to state that the volt drop is not an issue because despite the MCB rating, the power actually used doesn't cause any vd problems? I think not, because someone can draw the full design current through and will get unacceptable volt drop - although in reality my supply is 14v above the nominal 230 used when the circuit was designed, so would still be perfectly adequate. Unfortunately I think I will have to install bigger cables or reduce the design current by installing something to limit consumption e.g. a fused spur before the shed CCU labelled as MAX 5A, or whatever is needed?

Generally speaking, what sort of things are they likely ask me, and what will they want to see with respect to the practical examples?

Thanks

Thanks.

I just took a chance and called the local building control. They said waiting for the assessment and notifying through Elecsa would be fine.

Thanks.

I just took a chance and called the local building control. They said waiting for the assessment and notifying through Elecsa would be fine.

Elecsa let you notify when you pass mate. I called them before my assessment and spoke to elecsa and they said no need to call building control. Also don't worry too much about the garage circuit as they don't check the whole install out they just ask you to perform a few tests and look at the board change.

Also board change is enough to show them, they won't need to see anymore.

Good luck although I'm sure you'll be fine. At the end of the day they want you to pass, they want your money and it's not like exam conditions. They are really friendly just make sure the tea and biscuits are flowing and have a laugh n joke with them. Ask questions and make sure your paperwork and publications are spot on.

Cheers

Elecsa let you notify when you pass mate. I called them before my assessment and spoke to elecsa and they said no need to call building control. Also don't worry too much about the garage circuit as they don't check the whole install out they just ask you to perform a few tests and look at the board change. Also board change is enough to show them, they won't need to see anymore.

Good luck although I'm sure you'll be fine. At the end of the day they want you to pass, they want your money and it's not like exam conditions. They are really friendly just make sure the tea and biscuits are flowing and have a laugh n joke with them. Ask questions and make sure your paperwork and publications are spot on.

Cheers
The Tea and biccies are usually flowing in our household I want to do my assessment soon too

Thanks for your comments, that's put my mind at ease. And I will make sure we have the bestest most loveliest biscuits on hand

The Tea and biccies are usually flowing in our household I want to do my assessment soon too
Hmmmmm.....need any help revising.... :^O :^O:^O

on my assessment with the NICEIC, the chap wanted to check i had all correct books, insurance, qualifications, and from there asked me to perform certain tests on each property i submitted.

They then look for you to confirm how you know the test results are either exceptable or not. Msay want you to show them where the bonding is so be sure you know this.

also ask you general questions such as maximum rcd trip times, whats the difference between tt, tns, tnc-s systems. several questions on how to perform tests which you have not been asked to demonstrate.

as long as you know what you are doing, and have a good knowledge of the test procedures etc you will be fine. If you are asked something you are not sure of refer to the books and you will be fine.

That all sounds reasonable.

One thing i'm not sure on, why are there different max Ze for TN-S and TN-C-S?

Think I'll hit the books for the next couple of days to freshen my knowledge.

And another unrelated question; braided tinned copper straps for bonding main earth conductor on TN-S from suply sheath to MET... how do I know what it's CSA is?

You could invest on a micrometer or vernier calliper and measure the strand diameter. Other than that only experience will tell you. So I'd be getting out the callipers. Cheers

they ask questions about chase depths and drilling joists so check up on that if you need to