electric shock?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mack87

Reaction score
why is that why i touch an exposed live wire i get a shock even thou my trainers have rubber soles. i only touched the live and not any other cable like earth etc. can any1 explain? thanks againGuiness Drink

why is that why i touch an exposed live wire i get a shock even thou my trainers have rubber soles. i only touched the live and not any other cable like earth etc. can any1 explain? thanks againGuiness Drink
well why would you want to touch a live wire anyway just for fun :^O :^O

because they are not pure rubber, and do allow some current to flow. not a great deal, which is why it may only feel a slight tingle, but some does flow. touch live and an earth (or even another phase!) and you will get a much more severe shock (and i doubt you will be posting about it)

i wear high heels while working on live wires, not because they help i just like the feel of them and how they make my legs look longer. mmmmmmm

i wear high heels while working on live wires, not because they help i just like the feel of them and how they make my legs look longer. mmmmmmm
Rubbish on step ladders and in attics though.

hmm i suppose, yes i do touch live wires. who doesnt these days. so to recap if i touch live but i was on a fully insulated rubber mate, because rubber is an insulator jst like in my trainers them i wouldnt get a shock? i got one today come to think about it put ill put up a new thread ken

hmm i suppose, yes i do touch live wires. who doesnt these days. so to recap if i touch live but i was on a fully insulated rubber mate, because rubber is an insulator jst like in my trainers them i wouldnt get a shock? i got one today come to think about it put ill put up a new thread ken
Who is Ken ?

Sounds like you're playing Russian roulette. In many instances you may not provide a good path to ground, but on that one surprise incident where an unexpected path is found you may lose your life.

It's not actually normal to mess with live wires unless you really know what you're doing, and your question shows you don't. Remember that it takes less than 30mA through your torso to cause respiratory paralysis and result in an agonising asphyxiation. Higher currents knock your heart muscles out of sync and the resultant drop in blood flow results in brain death in minutes.

Electrocution.... Not a fun way to die by any stretch of the imagination.

Sounds like you're playing Russian roulette. In many instances you may not provide a good path to ground, but on that one surprise incident where an unexpected path is found you may lose your life.It's not actually normal to mess with live wires unless you really know what you're doing, and your question shows you don't. Remember that it takes less than 30mA through your torso to cause respiratory paralysis and result in an agonising asphyxiation. Higher currents knock your heart muscles out of sync and the resultant drop in blood flow results in brain death in minutes.

Electrocution.... Not a fun way to die by any stretch of the imagination.
Would we not hope that it took more than 30mA to kill the average person, not less? :|

I think the asphyxiation would be very quick and not especially agonising.

The ventricular fibrillation you speak of would be very quick. Actually a leathal electric shock would be a quick and painless way to go.

It the ones that you survive, fry your muscles lead to kidney failure or 3rd degree burns you want to worry about. IMO

only people with a death wish touch live wires with no protection. if i ever need to work on a live wire, its with insulated gloves/tools. keep going like that and your not gonna last long. as soon as something conducts a bit better than it currently is, your dead.

only people with a death wish touch live wires with no protection. if i ever need to work on a live wire, its with insulated gloves/tools. keep going like that and your not gonna last long. as soon as something conducts a bit better than it currently is, your dead.
I've been practising using insulated tools, and not sticking fingers on the non-isulated parts as is a bad habit with long nosed pliers etc. I also keenly encourage the apprentice to do the same. It has certainly saved me a belt or two Pray

Latest posts