Electrical equipment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ sound advice above

if this is going to be your first purchase of battery equipment, be careful before you buy as you certainly don’t want multiple battery systems

and look around online for kits of stuff, there are often some really good deals to be had too

Bosch blue are good quality, you will find the batteries won’t last too long as only 2.0A/h, so you may consider new batteries as next purchase, but these will get you started.

Nothing wrong with Bosch. I can't see from the ad, but does that include batteries and charger? (Often it doesn't)

What ever brand you go for, stick with it, that way you will always have a battery for it.
Thanks, I would like to stick with Bosch. It comes with two chargers but no bits.

Just wanted to know if it’s good tool for professional electrical work.

Thanks, I would like to stick with Bosch. It comes with two chargers but no bits.

I've always liked Bosch equipment including kitchen appliances and power tools. I had a little used battery drill that just decided to change into a smoke machine. The Makita and DeWalt power tools have never let me down at all despite a lot of use and abuse. I'm sure my one off Bosch experience is the exception rather than the rule but look around if Makita is available withing your budget I would go that route, their brushless motors are amazing, chargers very quick and batteries are of good capacity.

Nsalam , im a makita man , have been for years, they do allsorts of tools using the same lxt 18v batteries , i have even got the grass strimmer and have just bought a pump to inflate me tyres , batteries last for ages , some of my batteries are over 4 years old , keep your eye on screwfix deals as i got 2 x 5ah batteries , drill , charger and case for £140 , just stay with same brand batteries/tools as others have said mate

If only all manufactures would agree upon standard battery pack connecting method & dimensions...

So that we poor mortals who have to purchase and use their various tools,
could replace a duff battery with any suitably priced and available item, even if it's from a different manufacturer.

Over the years I have had to scrap a few perfectly good tools because batteries became obsolete..

Although the more recent trend for manufactures, (even Aldi tools), doing the "bare unit" concept
where you have to buy separate batteries & chargers, has improved the issue between various tools from the same manufacturer...

But you still basically need to select your preferred brand.

In the past it was regularly more economical to buy a complete tool+battery, than just a battery on its own...
I recall a fair few years back a new drill + battery was around £99 and a battery alone was the best part of £80!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o_O 🍺

Ok.. I actually HAVE one of these. Post the EXACT model number so i can check, but all i can say, is i have had mine for about ten years, and it has been ansd still is BRILLIANT. Ten years on the batteries are starting to fade, but the drill is perfect. I bought mine at the full price about £200 back then, but it has been [and still is] one of the best things i have ever bought. Would i buy another???? DEFINITELY..

john..

Ok.. I actually HAVE one of these. Post the EXACT model number so i can check, but all i can say, is i have had mine for about ten years, and it has been ansd still is BRILLIANT. Ten years on the batteries are starting to fade, but the drill is perfect. I bought mine at the full price about £200 back then, but it has been [and still is] one of the best things i have ever bought. Would i buy another???? DEFINITELY..

john..
Hi the model numbers are GSB 18V-21 and GDR 18V-160

friend of mine used to use Bosch, seemed pretty decent stuff without spending a fortune. Last thing you want is the most expensive gear, then leave it in an attic or it gets knicked from your van. Every brand has issues, eg, I have Makita gear, the drill chucks are crap and get jammed with dust - I change these for dewalt chucks from screfix. Erbauer is reasonably priced and works well, but tends to be bulky. Dewalt isn't as good as it used to be. Milwakee is a bit expensive, and Festool very expensive but very nice indeed, and Hilti will require a second mortgage :D .

Ultimately if you need to upgarde becuase you are working that much / in heavy environments, then make the money first and just buy what you need as and when necessary. 2kG impact drill can be very useful - I keep a 240V drill, cheap and far more powerful than anything battery based. Works for me as mostly do domestic and it doesn;t get used that much, so occasionally getting an extension lead out is fine.

friend of mine used to use Bosch, seemed pretty decent stuff without spending a fortune. Last thing you want is the most expensive gear, then leave it in an attic or it gets knicked from your van. Every brand has issues, eg, I have Makita gear, the drill chucks are crap and get jammed with dust - I change these for dewalt chucks from screfix. Erbauer is reasonably priced and works well, but tends to be bulky. Dewalt isn't as good as it used to be. Milwakee is a bit expensive, and Festool very expensive but very nice indeed, and Hilti will require a second mortgage :D .

Ultimately if you need to upgarde becuase you are working that much / in heavy environments, then make the money first and just buy what you need as and when necessary. 2kG impact drill can be very useful - I keep a 240V drill, cheap and far more powerful than anything battery based. Works for me as mostly do domestic and it doesn;t get used that much, so occasionally getting an extension lead out is fine.
Lol second mortgage.
for me I’m buying my first tools in preparation for my first role as a improver/mate.

Personally I’m all Makita, I’ve just got the DLX2145TJ kit, Which consists of a DHP458 combi drill and a DTD152 impact, 2x 5ah batteries and a charger, in the square blue box type case, ive had many years of hard use from those models previously, I’ve made them standard issue to our engineers

I agree with the others in sticking with one brand. For me, DeWalt has been great. Purchased one of their first 18V hammer cordless drills more than 20 years ago (I believe). It came with 2 nic cadmium batteries and paid £270 then.

It is still going strong! I am amazed that the batteries still hold decent charge, enough to drill a few holes. It only takes about 30 minutes to change each battery.

I made the mistake to purchase a Wickes set of cordless tools few years later. A small circular saw, 2 speed drill and Jigsaw. The tools are still good but the batteries are gone and there are no replacement available, that I can find.

So, buy from a good brand, as you'll likely to find batteries on a later date. I see that Amazon has battery adaptors for my drill to be able to utilize the new Li-Po batteries. As I bought a DeWalt strimmer, I can now utilise its 5Ah battery on the old drill. Win win!

Personally I’m all Makita, I’ve just got the DLX2145TJ kit, Which consists of a DHP458 combi drill and a DTD152 impact, 2x 5ah batteries and a charger, in the square blue box type case, ive had many years of hard use from those models previously, I’ve made them standard issue to our engineers
I find the combi drills with the plastic gearboxes last about 2 years of hard work, but a new drill body is cheap enough. The drill chucks have a bad habit of jamming when dust gets in them doing downlighters, so I change the chucks to DeWalt and they are fine there after.

Not the biggest fan of the plastic chuck on anyones, once you’ve used a 458 with the metal chuck you won’t use plastic again

Just buy Milwaukee, all metal gearing, metal chucks, brushless motors and Bluetooth connection for finding them when the low life’s steal them. The range of tools is superb.

Latest posts