Electrician Apprenticeship (Glasgow)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalit

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm looking for advice on getting a electrician apprenticeship in glasgow. I've applied threw SECTT and am waiting for an assessment date to come through (but based upon the mock-assessment on the site it looks like I'm guaranteed to pass. - hxxp://www.sectt.org.uk/assessments.asp

Once I pass that, what would be the best way about getting an in? emailing/phoning all the companies and asking them if they're interested in taking on an apprentice?

I'm 19yo at the moment and was mostly schooled in America so I have the equivalent of about 15-20 Standard Grades. Will that be a problem? The only Higher I have is in Computing.

I assume if I do get an apprenticeship that I won't be able to start until Sep due to the college course that is included in it.

If that is the case, would it be a good idea to get a job as a labourer with an electrician until that time?

Thanks for any replies,

dalit

Things are quite tight at the moment. Most of us are finding things quiter, so there are fewer apprenticeship places.

I would suggest writing to all local firms, followed up by a call a few days later.

pm me for more suggestions

cheers

stewart

If no company is willing to take me on would it be worth going to college myself and doing the City and Guilds Regulations 2381 ?

Does anyone here have experience doing that.

No

If you have not been SECTT trained then you will be unlikely to get a job in Scotland.

There is a way for employers to check against the UK electricains (SJIB / JIB) register. No details on register = no job

So other than emailing a bunch of employers and hoping one of them takes me on as an apprentice there is nothing I can do to better my chances?

Also, I'd still like to know that if I do get an apprenticeship will I need to wait til sep to start due to the college course that is included in it.

I did suggest you pm me several hours ago.

I'm off to bed now, so the chance has gone.

Good luck

have you thought about going back to college to train in something else, i have been a spark for 23 years, jib 2391 17th edition approved etc etc and i would have to say that the role of the electrician has to be the most undervalued one in the construction industry. money is being driven down at the moment due to the oversupply of labour (quite often unskilled). if you want to secure a decent job on an industrial site the training never ends, 2391 in order to be graded approved, 17th edition regs upgrade

bump...

anyone else?

Anyone got a directory of places that take on apprentices in Glasgow, agencies, etc? I've applied to all ones I could find on yell.com

bump...anyone else?

Anyone got a directory of places that take on apprentices in Glasgow, agencies, etc? I've applied to all ones I could find on yell.com
How have you approached these people? If you wrote a letter maybe follow up with a phone call?

Are you able to offere your services for free to gain experience? Speak to people and tell them this.

S'what I'd do

Best of luck!

I'm 19yo at the moment and was mostly schooled in America so I have the equivalent of about 15-20 Standard Grades.
Maybe don't ring them up if you from the deep South!

;)

Glaswegians and Yanks - could be an interesting shouting match, neither party getting a single word the other is speaking!

Mostly emails, been getting replies although most consist of "we're not hiring at the moment"

credit crunch and all...

Would I have better luck with agencies?

Glasweigan through and through, just lived in America for a few years :S

Take a look at this site - it give a list of all companies in Scotland who offer apprenticeship "Apprenticeship Vacancies by region" at scottishengineering.org.uk/Conections_COMPANIES.htm

Take a look at this site - it give a list of all companies in Scotland who offer apprenticeship "Apprenticeship Vacancies by region" at scottishengineering.org.uk/Conections_COMPANIES.htm
Uh, unless I'm reading it wrong. Those are companies who take on engineering apprentices (milling,etc) not electrical.

SECTT is the only way you will get a sjib registered apprenticeship in Glasgow.

Also contact BAE systems (scotstoun and govan yards) as they will still be taking on hundreds of apprentices each year (part of the stipulation in the contrcat for the new destroyers they are building), they will be getting ready to start next years intake tests and interviews soon. You do a 3 year apprenticeship there but you an do your 17th, and they also put you through your HNC. It is a recognised apprenticeship and it keeps you far more industrial based instead of getting involved in house bashing which quickly ****s yer knees and back.

Worthwhile as an other option but a place to get out of as soon as you have everything you require.

Yeah, I have my SECTT test on the 30th.

Thanks for the advice. I've applied to Glasgow Council (They are giving out 5000 apprenticeships this year instead of the usual ~100) and will phone up BAE today.

hiya,second year apprentice here looking for some help with college work.i thought i would post here as it had glasgow in the title.

if anybody out there in the glasgow area would be able to spare some time please get in touch.........many thanks for now.

hiya,second year apprentice here looking for some help with college work.i thought i would post here as it had glasgow in the title.if anybody out there in the glasgow area would be able to spare some time please get in touch.........many thanks for now.
post any questions - start new threads. We can help :)

Latest posts