ELV bathroom fan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIP IOM

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm currently renovating an old house, total refurb/rewire etc and need to fit a bathroom fan. I can't get it in an outside wall that is clear of zones so am therefore contemplating an ELV wall fan.

Firstly does anybody know which websites have the best choice (good quality etc)

Secondly as I'm first fixing now what is the wiring arrangement. I have a three core 1.5 in ceiling void in the vicinity (via TP sw etc) and there will be a halo downlight close to the wall where the fan is. Can I put the tranny next to the halo tranny in the ceiling (accessible thro the D/L hole if neccesary) and if so what cable do i put in from tranny to fan in wall.

Hope this makes sense

The fan transformers tend to be too large to go through a DL hole.

Can you not put the transformer in the loft somewhere and then just drop the low voltage cable down to the fan? or is this a downstairs bathroom with a room above?

You really need the transformer accessible, so another slightly unconventional, but perfectly acceptable method is put the transformer under the bath, accessible by removing the bath panel, then bring the cable up the wall to the fan.

Failing that a cupboard in the room above or a room adjacent to the bathroom.

I don't generally use lv fans but have used manrose ones in past but these don't seem to work to well. Have fitted a couple of xpelair ones and these seem to do the job. Cable between transformer and fan is 2 core. I use 2mm low voltage cable. I like to keep transformer accessible as they have been known to catch on fire but probably not necessary. Link from TLC below

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/XPLV100T.html

cheers guys

flat roof above with only 5" joist that's why i haven't gone for a ceiling fan, plus nightmare of fitting mushroom vent into fibreglass roof.

The bath is stand alone cast iron so can't put tranny there,

If i'm going the SELV route i think i've got to shop around until i find a tranny that fits thro D/L hole.

If i just put a piece of 3 core( flex?) in the wall void (2" batten off for shower pipes etc) to the proposed fan position will that cover most options?

cheers guysflat roof above with only 5" joist that's why i haven't gone for a ceiling fan, plus nightmare of fitting mushroom vent into fibreglass roof.

The bath is stand alone cast iron so can't put tranny there,

If i'm going the SELV route i think i've got to shop around until i find a tranny that fits thro D/L hole.

If i just put a piece of 3 core( flex?) in the wall void (2" batten off for shower pipes etc) to the proposed fan position will that cover most options?
I would think so. All lv fans I have fitted only needed twin because transformer controls when fan is on or off and not fan and no cpc is required.

so another slightly unconventional, but perfectly acceptable method is put the transformer under the bath, accessible by removing the bath panel
Just a quick question, would the panel have to be removed with the use of a tool or is this method acceptable either way?

why not get an selv fan with a wall/surface mounting transformer, and put the tranny outside the zone,

you could even put it above the bathroom door beside the isolator.

vent axia va100 would do, dont look too bad either, Eddys do them, not the cheapest, but good, Ive got one in my garage I'll flog ya. :D

does it need to be outside the zones as long as it is ipx4 it can be in zone 1. most mains voltage timed fans are at least ipx4 so no need for a elv fan

im with adrian, dont complicate things with a elv fan.

good point. My fan is going in zone 2 in between roll top bath and shower enclosure and will be IPX4. We (I) get carried away sometimes.

Cheers fellas

Just a quick question, would the panel have to be removed with the use of a tool or is this method acceptable either way?
if i remeber correctly under the bath is outside the zones if the pannle needs a tool to remove it

or maybe it was a dream it all mearges together these days