EOL

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vad25

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm just going to start install burglar alarm.

Could you please explain in wish case I have to use EOL technology.

I've got to connect 4 PIRs in series.

Thank you.

The eol would go on the last device. I suggest you refer to the installation instruction .many systems are different, some can be a set of dip switches or a resistor. What are you installing ?

Fire alarms have EOL but I have never seen Intruder Alarm, always connect them in zones in parallel.

I've not done one for ages due to the requirements of not being able to offer 24/7 cover.

I have never seen an intruder alarm with EOL either but they may be on the market....the best advice is always refer to the supplied installation document. I think there may be some confusion here. I agree with you steve they are usually found in fire Alarm systems

I've wired some with intruder alarms with EOLs. There was one for tamper and one for zone. Are you nacos registered? Some alarms come with EOLs but you don't have to use them.

Seems they are used in todays alarms, although the old NC loop is still used.

End of line resistors (EOLR) are resistors of a specified value that are used to terminate protective loops or zones.The purpose of EOLR's is to allow the control panel to supervise the field wiring for open or short circuit conditions. How the alarm responds to each depends on the panel as well as system zone programming, but generally speaking, an alarm views an open circuit as a fault or alarm condition, and a short circuit as a trouble or alarm condition (if armed). The purpose of EOLR's is to allow the panel to differentiate between the two conditions by looking for a known resistance.

EOLR's should be installed at the last device on the loop, electrically speaking, and not inside the control, unless special conditions are met. The benefits of EOLR's on protective zones with all concealed wiring is commonly argued by professional installers, as well as EOLR's installed inside the control unit, negating their effectiveness, as well as disabling the EOLR feature and using NC (normally closed) loops for zone definitions. The use of EOLR's is recommended and is particularly important when the field wiring is subject to damage or compromise.

Thank you for reply.

Alarm, I'm going to install,is Texecom Excel and it is my first alarm which one I do for myself. Can no see any problems to do it just been confused when readed installation manual. So now I understood,can forget for EOL, I'll not install fire detectors.

Thank you again.

They usually come with instructions for wiring both ways in the manual if it is a feature of that alarm, so go with normal wiring if your alarm allows it.