EV Charger Questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numbfoot

Reaction score
Hi, hope you guys can help with a few basic questions about EV charger installations.

I'm assuming they have to have a dedicated feed to the CU with a 32A breaker - this is for a 7Kw charger - and I think that means a 6mm cable.

If I run that under the floorboards does it need to be in SWA?

Once through the house wall what are the regs about how the cable is run? Are there height requirements etc.

My CU is under the stairs in the middle of a semi-detached and we've solid wood flooring so access will be an issue.

Needless to say I won't be doing this work but want to understand options rather than have to accept the quickest, easiest option for the installer. Don't want it looking like a dogs dinner if I can help it.

Thanks

Paul

Yes its dedicated circuit back to the board
Generally 6mm but may need to be bigger in some circumstances.
In most situations you need a twisted pair of signal wires with it for the CT clamp for the maximum demand protection
Desn't need to be SWA unless its being buried, but if its going outside, needs to be UV stable, NYY-J cables are often used
Shouldn't be downstream of any type AC RCD, requires its own double RCD, and is inadvisable to be downstream of the same rating of A RCD - This often means a replacement or additional board is required - pictures of the existing would help confirm this.
There are often ways to route cables which can be found on site, is it just the ground floor thats got laminate, or the first floor as well?

Bear in mind, the national companies(often twinned with energy or car car firms) like to try and do as near enough a standard install as they can and give one man about half a day to get it in, this sometimes ends up with it not being routed as you'd prefer, often you'd be better going with a local firm who do EVSEs alongside most other electrical work, who are probably more flexible in your approach