Exporting A Pme Suuply To Steel Shipping Containers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skillsassessor

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been asked to run in a temporary ( 6 months duration ) 16mm 3 core SWA cable to a sub-board in a metal shipping container currently being used as a site compound office / canteen etc. The supply is from the  communal area of an housing associations low rise flats( adjacent to the site compound ) which only supplies the communal lighting . The supply in the flats is a TNC-S 100 Amp BS 1361 fuse. Would you recomend put the shipping container on a TT system ?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I would treat the shipping container (big metal box) just like a caravan (another big metal box) and give it a TT earth. And of course an RCD

And don't forget to ensure the structure of the container is firmly bonded to your earth.

i hope its not electrical skills you assess...
Was this comment needed? you are better off saying nothing than comments like that. If you carry on with these snide remarks you will put people off from posting.

Was this comment needed? you are better off saying nothing than comments like that. If you carry on with these snide remarks you will put people off from posting.
No it wasnt needed.

When Mr Smith and Chewie come back from the bar I am sure it will be dealt with.

Thread opened again.

Andy,

Please behave as is appropriate for this Forum.

Whilst those of us who feel the Force understand your frustrations, it is not helpful to make such negative comments.

Please be warned that the Force is a VERY powerful thing, much more so than manipulating software or assimilating beings face to face.

The force does not reach these levels very often, however, on this occasion, the disquiet of several members has alerted me to their dissatisfaction.

Thus I had no option other than to act.

Please be warned, the Force can and does work over a distance, such that your every movement and actions are now being monitored.

I have removed the risk of closure for this thread. Andy is a long standing member of this forum and has offered some very good sound advise in the past.

We all know that at times we get frustrated at the level of questions raised, however we are not here to judge but to give advice when we feel that we can.

The fact that people are now using the report button fills me with confidence, the forum can only run smoothly if all members are willing to join in and give feedback.

The forum was built on the standing that we are a friendly forum, I still believe this to be the case and it is with the cooperation of our members that we can continue.

As a foot note to the reply that caused concern, perhaps the user name had a lot to do with the reply reported? I think the reply whilst short was indeed tongue in cheek.

Cut to the chase here. It  should be TT'ed  at the  container so only a 2 core is needed saving you some money.  The armouring should be earthed at the supply end  & isolated at the container end. You should also have it protected by a Rcd and i would fit that in the container but be aware of the rules regarding metal enclosures and TT systems. 

Cut to the chase here. It  should be TT'ed  at the  container so only a 2 core is needed saving you some money.  The armouring should be earthed at the supply end  & isolated at the container end. You should also have it protected by a Rcd and i would fit that in the container but be aware of the rules regarding metal enclosures and TT systems. 
I think this is a first class summary.

S type or not to S type that is the question :innocent

Well spotted Apprentice ,  didn't notice the building site bit .

Skillsassessor.....  no such thing as a temporary installation anymore ...that distinction disapeared in the 16th I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.