Extending cable?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robj63

Reaction score
A socket is to be relocated higher up a wall and is fed from the bottom .

Apart from replacing the whole length of cable , is it permitted to join the cable if it is to be buried in the wall? If not is it acceptable to use some form of connector if cable is run in conduit?

Any suggestions/ ideas would be appreciated

thanks

Thanks for the replys, it says in BRB 526.3 " appropriate compression tool" what is appropriate? who or what decides what is appropriate ?

thanks again guys

Any help appreciated

I think a ratchet one would be appropriate and the cheap non ratchet cum wire-strippers are not.

so if i crimped the two cables together , this would be acceptable if buried in wall?

Ratchet crimp,heat shrink test IR and Zs then bury in wall good to go.

Ratchet crimp,heat shrink test IR and Zs then bury in wall good to go.
Sounds good to me, ill invest in a ratchet crimper but ive never done heat shrink ( for want of a better term lol ) any dos and donts? what heat source / sizes etc any help appreciated again

cheers Rob

get yourself a multi size heat shrink pack and experiment

i tend to shrink individual cables and then over them together if room allows

i would do a few test runs first and stagger the crimps rather than cut and join the same lengths

heat source..........hair dryer, heat gun or gas run soldering tool.....

Thanks for the replys, it says in BRB 526.3 " appropriate compression tool" what is appropriate? who or what decides what is appropriate ?thanks again guys

Any help appreciated
That can also be taken as meaning don't just use ordinary pliers to try & squash the crimp joint. A proper crimp tool will put a even force without damaging the crimp itself.

Doc H.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:48 ----------

Sounds good to me, ill invest in a ratchet crimper but ive never done heat shrink ( for want of a better term lol ) any dos and donts? what heat source / sizes etc any help appreciated againcheers Rob
A basic heat gun can be purchased for less than

You shouldn't use a direct heat source I.e. a flame or soldering iron.

I use an electric heat gun/paint stripper

Glue lined heatshrink is better for burying as opposed to regular as it forms a proper seal

Noz

have you got a good link ????

i get mine from wholesalers but they are not glue lined

Thanks to every one for taking time to answer, ive gone out and bought a ratchet crimper and practiced a bit , cracking tool ill try the heat shrinking next , ive got a heat gun so ill use that

cheers everyone

Rob

Thanks to every one for taking time to answer, ive gone out and bought a ratchet crimper and practiced a bit , cracking tool ill try the heat shrinking next , ive got a heat gun so ill use thatcheers everyone

Rob
Glad you got the advice you wanted. Have fun with the crimper!

I thought that I'd replied to this earlier, but apparently I hadn't (my phone crashed:()No mate, I'm afraid not..

I just bought some from CEF, IIRC it cost something like

That can also be taken as meaning don't just use ordinary pliers to try & squash the crimp joint. A proper crimp tool will put a even force without damaging the crimp itself.
So... the bloke training me uses the cutters on his pliars to crimp the crimp. I've bought the CK crimp tool and offered them to him to stop him doing itbad day explode. Are we in agreement its a bad bad practice? Or, am just a fussy apprentice? :C

i have worked with people who have used pliars, and insulated crimping tool on unisulated crimps,

i would stick with the right crimpers thats what they are designed for

So... the bloke training me uses the cutters on his pliars to crimp the crimp. I've bought the CK crimp tool and offered them to him to stop him doing itbad day explode. Are we in agreement its a bad bad practice? Or, am just a fussy apprentice? :C
pickleye,

Get him a pair of spurs mate, as he needs them!