Extending twin and earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kernow

Reaction score
This guy took off a socket face and accidently shortened the cable so much he could not get the wires into the terminals - Is there a was to safely and legally to extend the wire in a back box?

No slack so can it be extended or all have to be ripped out?

Use crimps and heatshrink if the crimpers will get in there. Only use ratchet crimpers tho not the cheap ones. Or alternatively use wagos to extend or use choc blocks as it's in an enclosure. Hth

Yeah that's it mate. You can get a crimper from screwfix or toolstation. Mine was around a score but buy the decent crimps from wholesaler not the ones from toolstation/screwfix as the quality is rubbish and it needs to be a good solid joint. I use heatshrink afterwards too to make it neater. Hth

i try not to use choc blocks in back boxes ,,,,,,crimp or wagos

have you seen a melted choc block ???

I always think unsecured and exposed choc blocks look DIY (esp. when wrapped in copious amounts of green/yellow tape).

This guy took off a socket face and accidently shortened the cable so much he could not get the wires into the terminals
that would be you then? lol

Debate starter for 10, why not use the yellow ones as they are even smaller?

Use crimps and heatshrink if the crimpers will get in there. Only use ratchet crimpers tho not the cheap ones. Or alternatively use wagos to extend or use choc blocks as it's in an enclosure. Hth
if tis in the backbox, no need for the heatshrink