External Wall Lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been asked to install two PIR security wall lights

I am correct in thinking

(1) That this work is not notifiable under Part P

(2) That RCD protection is not required so long as 522.6.5 is satisfied (basically cables in ceilings/floors should be installed such that they are not liable to damage and no cables are concealed in a wall (522.6.6)

All advice appreciated

I have been asked to install two PIR security wall lightsI am correct in thinking

(1) That this work is not notifiable under Part P
Depends on the type of lights, unless part p has changed again this week.

I guess you mean so long as there are no exposed outdoor connections?
Not connections so much, external runs. Used to be notifiable if the cable didn't enter the light directly from the rear.

Hi. H. Your statement above is correct . and also as long as the supply to the lights is not a new circuit or is not an extension of a circuit in a Special location...Kitchen etc.

a1spark.

Not connections so much, external runs. Used to be notifiable if the cable didn't enter the light directly from the rear.
Nope! The guys below are right - so long as it's attached to the building, not a new circuit and no outside connections it's not notifiable.

Hi. H. Your statement above is correct . and also as long as the supply to the lights is not a new circuit or is not an extension of a circuit in a Special location...Kitchen etc.a1spark.
If in doubt it's all here http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf (pg 9 & 10)

Guess it depends which way you read it. I was told that if the cable was run outside at any point it was notifiable unless the outdoor part was directly into the light fitting in question. Not really what an exposed outdoor connection, I try and avoid fitting exposed connections anywhere TBH, they sound dangerous.

So long as the complete cable length is >50mm depth of surface & MEB's or supp bonding are all in order then no rcd.....but will the circuit be operated by an instructed or skilled person :innocent if not then rcd 522.6.7 :slap

Anyone have an opinion on point (2) of the original post?
Hi. H. I would say you were correct on point 2 also, and agree with advice given by M107 and adding also as long as complying with 522.6.8 ,if required.

a1spark.