Failing Light Bulbs?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_i_c

Reaction score
HI,

My relatives are senior citizens, they don't like the new energy bulbs but have a found a store which stocks the old fashioned type. But their bulbs keep blowing, even the odd new energy bulb will go, about a bulb per month at the current rate. So it could be the bulbs or it could be something else?

Their computer monitor - and they have had several - appears to wobble very slightly sometimes. This happens on all their monitors. I have never seen this effect on any other monitor. So I was wondering were the bulbs & monitor linked in some way - is there an overriding cause, like power surges to a local junction box or something - causing all these strange goings-on?

Is there a diagnostic that can be carried out DIY or by a trained electrician please?

Thanks,

Ric

In my humble opinion and experience the problem of light bulbs having a short life is often down to two main causes :-

i) Inferior quality light bulbs.

ii) Excessive wear on lampholder contacts. Deterioration of spring tension will cause a poor connection between lampholder and bulb, a higher electrical resistance and thus a build up of excess heat.

I would start by trying high quality light bulbs, then perhaps inspect (with power safely isolated of course !) the lampholders for signs of wear and replace any lampholders/ light fittings that appear to be in poor condition.

There may be a less common cause but I personally would try those two first.

cheap and nasties dont last long. I kept putting GU10's in my 4 spot light and they didnt last long at all. There were some 4W LEDs on sale at Tescos this week - £3 each and they were Philips too. I have to say they seem brighter than the halogen spots they replaced and use 16W instead of 200W

Thanks. I don't know what all the fuss is about with these new bulbs - & I am the retro king in some respects - but the new energy bulbs are now the normal bulbs as far as I am concerned, I don't have a problem with them. One or two however have gone sooner than they are meant to but I suppose nothing is perfect.

good quality LEDs although expensive are long lasting and will potentially save ££££s
Thanks. I have noticed that led torches are also exceptionally bright and seem to go on forever, so are presumably much more energy efficient & therefore saving on the cost of batteries?

if monitor is also playing up, then amy be worth getting circuits checked - could be something loose? But generally older poeple tend to have stuff on for longer, because they are home more, hence stuff does fail more often

Okay thanks. The acid test will be when they start using the new energy efficient bulbs - if they all start blowing then it's time to call in a sparky!

Another thing I have noticed is that some of the bulbs have a small soldered wire on the edge where the copper fitting has one leg of the filament soldered to it, in some cases this crystallises and the wire detaches due to heat, I had one fitting that would go through a bulb a week, I left the glass cover off so i would run cooler and the bulb has not failed since.

Hope this bit helps.

Mike.

Update.

Thanks all.

The problem seemed to be the lamp shades, they were so heavy they were tugging on the wires and causing short circuits. The wiring was looked at by an electrician and then I replaced the old shades with light-weight ones, we haven't had a bulb go on us since (touch wood)

;)