Faulty Terminal Threads - Mk Grid Switches (10Amp)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

says-les

Reaction score
Four times in the last two weeks, I've had to return the above grid switches to my supplier.  Cost, time and bother!

Any others had this issue, and should I write to MK complaining/reporting?

The terminal screw is very tight and in some cases impossible to turn.

Anyone else like to see ALL terminal screws changed to hex-drive for better torque and strength?

Its dumbing down on quality control in whatever far eastern country  MK are using for cheap labour .     The quality of nearly everything we use has dropped. 

Theres never been a problem with the simple slotted terminal screw since I've been in the trade ...........until lately .

I find this problem with 75% of all Mk stuff excluding consumer unit switchgear (probably  because thats badged up Chinese crap made in a different factory to the other crap)   For this reason plus the cost i never use MK unless specified.

On a recent job i had to change a MKK double socket that wasn't that old (forgotten the reason why). We compared this with a new one and also with some singles fitted and one in the van. The fitted ones were lighter and slightly different and we think possibly snides ?

A couple of years back I also had some very bad ones, that bad the screws would not turn & i think the terminal threads were different to the screws. These had grey plastic rears, were they rip-offs ?

I've had issues with the grid switch screws also. Along with that we have a site where we have fitted MK Masterseal RCD sockets. We are constantly replacing them as going faulty. The area where we fitted Newlec ones we haven't had to replace any (touch wood)

About 12 years ago we were specified to fit MK Rcd's in each floor box of an office job. This was a BT contract with about 200 units so custom plates were made. Over 85% of the Rcd's failed the testing and were returned but BT changed the spec to Merlin Gerin  .

Hager SOLLSYTA for me all the way, MK is over priced over specified junk that  would never use unless I have to. Over the years the stuff has got worse  its a shame as the old logic range was the industry leader and Sentry was considered the bogs bollocks, how could a company so respected get it that wrong

Just wondered if anyone has had trouble with new Sentry consumer unit quality especially the RCD.S as they add extra resistance to the circuit when you do loop testing when you have the tester on trip lock

A length of 2.5 mm 2m long with a ze at source of oh 0.15ohms will have a reading of 0,67 ohms if tested through RCD I know you will get higher reaing but that is just madness

Hager SOLLSYTA for me all the way, MK is over priced over specified junk that would never use unless I have to. Over the years the stuff has got worse its a shame as the old logic range was the industry leader and Sentry was considered the bogs bollocks, how could a company so respected get it that wrong

Just wondered if anyone has had trouble with new Sentry consumer unit quality especially the RCD.S as they add extra resistance to the circuit when you do loop testing when you have the tester on trip lock

A length of 2.5 mm 2m long with a ze at source of oh 0.15ohms will have a reading of 0,67 ohms if tested through RCD I know you will get higher reaing but that is just madness
Perhaps they were copying Craptree :innocent

Interesting , I'll keep avoiding them .

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.