Fellow computer experts.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deke, what do you really use the computer for.?surfing the web and watching ****.,?

is that it.?

same as me then.?
I think Dekes computer was also running the navigation system for that nuclear submarine up Scotland way..............

As soon as he stopped some programs and did his defrag the submarine ran aground!

:_| :_|

There is an icon on the bottom toolbar for connecting to AOL . This was already on the PC when I bought it . I'd like to get rid of it but couldn't find it in the uninstall list . Any ideas for getting shut of it, or is it just an icon , not taking up space ?
Right click somewhere at the bottom of the screen, A menu will pop up.

Left click on properties and a window will open.

Left click on the 'Notification Area' tab.

Left click on customise, and a new window will open.

You can then scroll down untill you find the AOL icon, and pick whether to show, hide or hide when inactive.

Another thing you can do, is to left click on start, and then in the search pane, type AOL. Then right click on what is found and click on 'Open folder location'. You dan then delete any AOL folders.

this AOL icon ???

'control panel'

'add/remove programs'

look for AOL

if it comes up in the list you will get an option to remove it

you may find there are other programs on there that you dont use and you can remove them aswell

what service pack are you using for xp ????

Right click somewhere at the bottom of the screen, A menu will pop up.Left click on properties and a window will open.

Left click on the 'Notification Area' tab.

Left click on customise, and a new window will open.

You can then scroll down untill you find the AOL icon, and pick whether to show, hide or hide when inactive.

Another thing you can do, is to left click on start, and then in the search pane, type AOL. Then right click on what is found and click on 'Open folder location'. You dan then delete any AOL folders.
Thanks Spinney, AOL has left the building.

BTW,

AOL is an integral part of M$ and you CANNOT by definition remove it, it will disappear from your lists etc, but it is how M$ obtains and traces your data so will always be on your machine.

when you agree to M$ and windoze T&C then you agree to them obtaining anything you do on your computer at any time.

BTW,AOL is an integral part of M$ and you CANNOT by definition remove it, it will disappear from your lists etc, but it is how M$ obtains and traces your data so will always be on your machine.

when you agree to M$ and windoze T&C then you agree to them obtaining anything you do on your computer at any time.
Utter tosh.

BTW,AOL is an integral part of M$ and you CANNOT by definition remove it, it will disappear from your lists etc, but it is how M$ obtains and traces your data so will always be on your machine.

Are you thinking of IE?

Thanks for the advice ,guys . Computer fires up quicker now, and as suggested , I think Norton slows it up a bit.

I don't think having Orange as the ISP helps either ! Although they deny it, in busy periods it slows down and will even drop out . The only way back on then, is to restart. Usually fine after 7.30 pm.

Does anyone know if Virgin has problems , I was looking at their offer of broadband and phone.

Does anyone know if Virgin has problems , I was looking at their offer of broadband and phone.
had internet from telewest/virgin for years. rarely any problems. last time it was off for a wekeend, some idiot went through the main fibre optic cable into the area

but if you do get problems, you wont speak to anyone in england, and customer service is crap. iirc, its also a premium number thats refunded if ts their problem (only time ive needed it, i phoned free number, and when they tell me to call premium numberand wont connect me FOC, told them to transfer me to someone to cancel instead)

I think Dekes computer was also running the navigation system for that nuclear submarine up Scotland way..............As soon as he stopped some programs and did his defrag the submarine ran aground!

:_| :_|
Thats what was slowing it down then . Bit like Del Boy's satelite dish affecting the aircraft.

Virgin is pretty reasonable. Are you going for the cable or ADSL offering?

do you live in a built up area i.e well populated terraced council area ????

or do you live private area ????

i only ask as it does have an impact

Utter tosh.
you think so?

Are you thinking of IE?
no, AFAIAA IE only has a bearing on upgrades etc,

America On Line is the provider for all of M$ internet traffic that monitors your system, that is why they have it on windoze.

you can delete it from your computer but it is always on your system,

its one of the tools forensic geeks use to analyse your hard drive if you run windoze,

ubuntu has equivalents, they just arent built into your system with no ability to remove them.

BTW,

I used to have virgin/ntl, always had good internet,

have talktalk now and TBH is a lot better than I imagined for the money, net&phone.

would deffo recommend it.