ferroli combi

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robj63

Reaction score
please can some one tell me how to determine the circuit design current for combi boiler so that i can fit correct size mcb ( currently its on a existing 32A ) I believe I should fit a 6A mcb but would like to work it out for myself but cant find any info on the boiler

any help appreciated in advance

thanks Rob

please can some one tell me how to determine the circuit design current for combi boiler so that i can fit correct size mcb ( currently its on a existing 32A ) I believe I should fit a 6A mcb but would like to work it out for myself but cant find any info on the boiler any help appreciated in advance

thanks Rob
Without having the actual specification for the boiler in question it is impossible to actually do a "proper" calculation...

But I am guessing that the combi boiler is actually connected via a flex to a FCU or Plug & Socket with either a 3A or 5A fuse!?

So it wont be drawing to much...

Also, don't forget your MCB is primarily to protect the cables..

and its the loads that determine the cable size..

So providing the circuit cable can take 32A no need altering the MCB?

Is it off a 2.5mm ring main by any chance?

:)

Thanks for the reply, The combi is a ferroli 77ff if thats any help its connected to a unswitched socket ( no FCU) from 32A mcb and shares this with a double socket and yes it is connected via a flex

cheers Rob

Just make sue there is a 3 Amp fuse in the plug and it will be fine.

Without having the actual specification for the boiler in question it is impossible to actually do a "proper" calculation...But I am guessing that the combi boiler is actually connected via a flex to a FCU or Plug & Socket with either a 3A or 5A fuse!?

So it wont be drawing to much...

Also, don't forget your MCB is primarily to protect the cables..

and its the loads that determine the cable size..

So providing the circuit cable can take 32A no need altering the MCB?

Is it off a 2.5mm ring main by any chance?

:)
Gas regs require a gas boiler to be protected by a 3A fuse.

So you must fit an FCU

Gas regs require a gas boiler to be protected by a 3A fuse.So you must fit an FCU
What does a FCU have to make sue you only use 3A fuses that a plug doesn't? I personally always fit a FCU (with 3A fuse) for boilers, I was just making a point. :innocent

Neither an FCU nor a plug has any capability to guarantee that only a 3A fuse is fitted.

However, what an FCU has over a plug is that Plumb Bob can switch off and remove the fuse to prevent accidental switch on without having to dismantle anything (ie the plug).