few questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Brennan

Reaction score
Not been on here for a while been very busy, hope every1 is ok.

Got a couple of easy questions im unsure about,

half way through a mains change empty property

end to end on kitchen ring, L/L .45

N/N .16

normally i would try and find the fault and fix but every socket in the kitchen cannot be taken off as when tiled they have tiled the sockets in and there is no way of getting them off, is it my responsibility to fix this problem or should i just note on the cert?

There is also a boiler in the bathroom fed from a fcu, the fcu is roughly 1 m from edge of bath and under half a meter from sink, is it ok to leave as is or does it require to be ip rated?

thanks

I would suspect that the regulations would not like any fixing to be "tilled in".

All conections under the regulations should be accessable for inspection and maintenance.

The responsibility must be with the owner of the property, and you can only advise that they would have to come off.

Your end to end readings could suggest a loose/broken connection, and should be fixed before any other damage could occur.

The fcu in the bathroom is as you find it and unless you are instructed to remove or replace it, I would just put it on the cert if you feel that its position is not suitable.

In any case it should be RCD protected.

I would suspect that the regulations would not like any fixing to be "tilled in".All conections under the regulations should be accessable for inspection and maintenance.

The responsibility must be with the owner of the property, and you can only advise that they would have to come off.

Your end to end readings could suggest a loose/broken connection, and should be fixed before any other damage could occur.

The fcu in the bathroom is as you find it and unless you are instructed to remove or replace it, I would just put it on the cert if you feel that its position is not suitable.

In any case it should be RCD protected.
Thats the problem landlard wont allow tiles to be disturbed and thats the only way to check for loose connection etc

Do your own work, issue the eic and a seperate PIR with a code 1.

Get paid before he sees that the pir is only valid for 2 months.

:)

I'd have thought spur needs to be moved to safe zone assuming someone will pay you to do it.

Ring needs to be investigated, assuming someone pays you to do it, so I presume you enter it on the cert , its the owners responsibility to maintain a safe installation, not yours , the way I see it you can only recommend .

If you change a C/U you can't re- energise anything thats dangerous.

I'd have thought spur needs to be moved to safe zone assuming someone will pay you to do it.Ring needs to be investigated, assuming someone pays you to do it, so I presume you enter it on the cert , its the owners responsibility to maintain a safe installation, not yours , the way I see it you can only recommend .

If you change a C/U you can't re- energise anything thats dangerous.
thats what i thought, so would you re energise with them readings and make a note or disconnect which i know they would not go for.

I was told during my annual assesment that for a CU change that the installation should be tested as if it were a new installation... I.E. full tests..

Also EIC's cannot have failures on them, they should show full compliance with the regs (or better)

CU changes are always best carried out after a full PIR, but we all know that this is impracticable at most times.. therefore the customer should be made aware that any faults that you find with the installation as part of the CU change will either need to be fixed or disconnected (at extra expense)

the spur next to the bath clearly is a shock danger ! i'd not power it up and note it with a signature obtained.

you can note the test results of the ring and then note a departure for in-accessable connections(sockets) however the readings are different but not high

as noz says tho you can note but still not issue the eic

edit: actually no thinking about it the eic is covering the CU INSTALLATION

the circuits are existing so the comments on the existing installation shall be where you note the faults/non compliance and you then can issue

its just crap there is no where on the cert for the customer to say they have accepted the cert

Hi

Take a look on the ESC Best practice guide on Consumer Unit changes.

I have found a way to inspect sockets tiled in without breaking the tiles.

Smash out the middle of the sockets and remove it in bits, replace with new socket and put ON the tiles. Not ideal but with decent sockets at

If I were conducting a PIR, I would code high impedance on the kitchen RFC as a 2, only if it was high enough to prevent the CPD from operating.

I would code the tiled in accessories as a 4.

The boiler FCU I would not comment on, as it is outside the zones.

The EIC should only cover the work that you have conducted.

Any defects or omissions in the work covered by the EIC should be rectified before issue.

There is a space to put comments on the existing installation.

If you believe that any part of the existing installation is dangerous, then it is your choice whether to re-energise either that dangerous part, or any of it at all.

From what you have posted, there does not to my mind appear to be any reason not to re-energise.

0.45 is a normally expected figure. 0.16 is very low, meaning a very short run of cable. Is there a Rcd on the circuit ? I am thinking a N-E fault which is bringing down that reading.
yes cu change is done, there is rcd protection on the circuit but no N/E fault, the IR tests on that particular circuit came back low but well within to comply. the only issue is the end to end readings which are different to each other, im back tomorrow to finish off but still unsure whether to try and find the problem or note on the cert

is your time going to be covered for fault finding/rectification? simples

I'd say a call to the Elecsa helpline might be in order..
no looks like im fault finding for free just to keep the landlord happy :( and secure more work from themheadbang

There is also a boiler in the bathroom fed from a fcu, the fcu is roughly 1 m from edge of bath and under half a meter from sink, is it ok to leave as is or does it require to be ip rated?

thanks
Technically the FCU is outside the zones as it's more than 0.6m from the edge of the bath. Still bad practice mind.