Fire alarm fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electroglow

Reaction score
Hi all.

Before I start I just want to tell u I hardly do fire alams and this is only because it's for a mate... That I'm asking other wise I wouldn't get involved......

He has had a new fire panel changed in the past two months... Everything was ok as he said said but this week he has found a fault on the display system......

Sounder fault

Am I correct in saying that some older system don't really like new pnels??

It's a Tate panel

Any suggestions??

As guess its a fault on the sounder circuit,

measure for eol, check fuses, try resistor in panel.

Normal fualt finding stuff

Ok il have a quik look... When changing a panel I know uvhae to replace EOL in the detectors and call point! What about te sounders??

Hi all. Before I start I just want to tell u I hardly do fire alams and this is only because it's for a mate... That I'm asking other wise I wouldn't get involved......

He has had a new fire panel changed in the past two months... Everything was ok as he said said but this week he has found a fault on the display system......

Sounder fault

It's a Tate panel

Any suggestions??
First thing I would do is contact the people who installed it to come back and fix it at their expense!!!

Before you start poking around doing any damage that they cane blame back onto you!

Guinness :C

That's right u are correct they do use diodes .

But I'd that was the case then y would the fault only show up now ?

Come on guys, give him some help, I'd be interested to know what's the best way of fault finding for this?

At a guess I'd check continuity of all cables, fuses and resistance of eol resistor. But my fire alarm experience is limited.

Come on guys, give him some help, I'd be interested to know what's the best way of fault finding for this?
remove cables & measure the circuit (the manual states a 10k resistor), using a DVM like this you should get a reading of around 10000 Ω (imgae might have zero missing)

holly_bush1

okay say it open circuit? you could apply a short by putting the panel end cables in choc block you should have the value of the cables if you don't, go midway you should measure a short one way & 10000 ish the other

firealarmtestb.jpg

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:54 ----------

+ if only the panels been changed any fault outside of the panel is liable to be chargable!

fuse, if you put meter on sounder circuit (volt) & evac you should have 28v or so

Come on guys, give him some help, I'd be interested to know what's the best way of fault finding for this?At a guess I'd check continuity of all cables, fuses and resistance of eol resistor. But my fire alarm experience is limited.
An installation that has gone faulty after 2 months should be fixed free of charge by the original installers...

I cannot understand why anybody has not just rung them up to fix it????

Who

An installation that has gone faulty after 2 months should be fixed free of charge by the original installers...
OP states panel changed, if you changed my consumer unit is the warrenty for the extent of the work you've done of for whole intsallation ?

I susepct co. which has done panel swap when approached to do a return visit has informed the client that should the fault not be within the extent of the work they have undertaken.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP states panel changed, if you changed my consumer unit is the warrenty for the extent of the work you've done of for whole intsallation ?I susepct co. which has done panel swap when approached to do a return visit has informed the client that should the fault not be within the extent of the work they have undertaken.
I would expect the company that did the swap to have tested all zone circuit cables etc.. etc.. to ensure it was all functioning correctly with no damaged cables etc.. all EOL devices connected etc.. etc..

So in all reasonable assumptions the goods AND services they provided should be fit for purpose and be capable of working correctly for more than 2 months

I would expect the company that did the swap to have tested all zone circuit cables etc.. etc.. to ensure it was all functioning correctly with no damaged cables etc.. all EOL devices connected etc.. etc..So in all reasonable assumptions the goods AND services they provided should be fit for purpose and be capable of working correctly for more than 2 months

alternatively ..grease my palm with silver...or gold !..and i will fix it...or condemn it !...haha

Hi all. Before I start I just want to tell u I hardly do fire alams and this is only because it's for a mate... That I'm asking other wise I wouldn't get involved......

Sounder fault

It's a Tate panel

Any suggestions??
Remove the EOL fit back in panel then see if fault clears if yes then fault on the circuit (easy enough to find as its a radial circuit) or if fault continues then faulty EOL or panel (obviously replace EOL then still no joy it's gotta be the panel)

Latest posts