fire detection panels

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulman

Reaction score
i have been asked by a friend to install three extra smoke detectors on his new ceiling as he has installed a suspended ceiling he must have smokes above & below. Anyway the contractors who look after the fire detection equipment & panel have agreed if he installs the smokes and fp200 they will terminate & commission saving my friend over a grand. My question is do smokes wired into a main panel just go out as a standard radial. As a spark i was talking to has said that i must return to the panel as in a ring the panel is a notifier id 2000.

cheers for any help

Just wire them as a radial,

Just make sure you mark up the cables (in and out) as many sensors have to be wired the right way around

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:42 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:41 ----------

and don't forget to use metal P clips (even in trunking)

cheers for that. i couldn't see why i would have to return to the panel.

Just wire them as a radial, Just make sure you mark up the cables (in and out) as many sensors have to be wired the right way around

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:42 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:41 ----------

and don't forget to use metal P clips (even in trunking)
This could be read wrongly by someone who is unfamiliar with fire alarms. If the new detectors will be on their own zone then a radial (2 cores) is ok. If the new stuff is to be connected to an existing zone at the panel then it does need to be in a loop , easiest way is using a 4 core cable. This is because the detection cables are monitored so you cant 'spur' off them

looking at the advice given...... oh dear

this is an multi loop analogue addressable system, the cable goes out from the controls goes though all the devices on the loop & returns to the controls.

rather than running cables at a whim you need instruction from the fire protection company

i can remember working at an M&S and the zones all came back to the panel, end of line resistors fitted in panel

i can remember working at an M&S and the zones all came back to the panel, end of line resistors fitted in panel
not sure how this helps the OP, but thanks for sharing

From my limited knowledge of these systems I understood that

the end of line resistor HAD to be at the end of the line.

From my limited knowledge of these systems I understood thatthe end of line resistor HAD to be at the end of the line.
Correct, but as benji mentioned we have also had a few specifications where we have had to bring the end of circuits back to the panel so future engineers know where the end of line is & it can be easily tested. I also remember years ago an 'End of line' engraved blank plate with the EOL device in would be fitted next to a break glass in a convenient position, for the same reasons, but you never see that today.