Fire in the loft

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this dilemma on the big new build I'm doing at the moment.

I've still got 35 more flippin downlighters to fit upstairs. And the biggest PITA about fitting them, is clearing the insulation around them.

Now, in order to meet the building regs low energy lighting requirements to get a completion certificate, they are going to have to fit LED lamps to ALL these downlighters in place of the standard GU10's.

So, am I wasting my time clearing the insulation?

I think not, because at least I can sleep with a clear conscience knowing if Halogen GU10's go back in them, they won't overheat.

I really really wish some bureaucrat would ban Halogen GU10's and force the issue. If they were really serious about energy efficient lighting that would make a huge impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny how we have to read the Regs every day before we leave home yet firms go round piling 10ft of lagging over all the downlights in the country. It should be made public as a possible fire risk.
Not to mention all those meter tails & other cables through cavities that have subsiquently been filled with polstyrene insulating balls...... a problem in the near future I think.

Latest posts