Fire rated downlights or not

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have some downlights to install in a shop. suspended ceiling, approx 300mm lower than original ceiling. flat (not part of shop) above.

do i need fire rated lights or not? dont think it does (are suspended ceilings fire rated anyway?), but rather find out now rather than after i price job!

I always spec/quote for F rated dl's anyway.

For your case you could argue that you are not breaking the fire barrier between shop & flat as a suspended ceiling is going in. But I'd still go f rated myself.

If you aren't piercing the fire barrier (ie the higher ceiling) then fire-rated is not needed and therefore, a waste of money, especially as they like to toast the lamps. If the fire barrier is knackered then sweaty is right in that it should be fire boarded, but that isn't your issue. Check the JCC website where they show ordinary dl's are good for 30 mins anyway, which is probaly the same as the suspended ceiling.

You need to know what the fire rating of the original ceiling is . Ordinary downlights will counteract the fire rating of the suspended ceiling, but if its only decorative I guess it dosn't matter. Speaking for myself, I always fit fire rated whatever the situation, rectum covered !

Deke

You need to know what the fire rating of the original ceiling is . Ordinary downlights will counteract the fire rating of the suspended ceiling, but if its only decorative I guess it dosn't matter. Speaking for myself, I always fit fire rated whatever the situation, rectum covered ! Deke
I concur, I always quote for fire rated now as a CYA exercise.

I herd a story of a spark that fitted some d/l's in a basement room and months after the job was done the one near a pressed panel door set fire to the door when the door got wedged stuck on the dodgy fitted laminate which left the top of the door 3" from the 35w GU10. Next he knew big fat for P.I. claim against him as he designed the layout with the client.

These things are a big fat fire hazard an roll on cheap bright LED

I concur, I always quote for fire rated now as a CYA exercise. I herd a story of a spark that fitted some d/l's in a basement room and months after the job was done the one near a pressed panel door set fire to the door when the door got wedged stuck on the dodgy fitted laminate which left the top of the door 3" from the 35w GU10. Next he knew big fat for P.I. claim against him as he designed the layout with the client.

These things are a big fat fire hazard an roll on cheap bright LED