What's your go-to downlight? - 2023

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTH

Reaction score
Update of Jan 2022 for this year.

I'm looking at replacing a load of GU10 non fire rated downlights and also installing a load more at my daughters house.

I'm sceptical of Integrated LED Downlights and having to replace the whole unit rather than GU10 if they fail. Last year, this was most peoples consensus in this thread - https://electricianforum.co.uk/threads/whats-your-go-to-downlight.54300/

Is it still consensus that its less headache to fit GU10 LED Downlights than Integrated LED Downlights ?
If so what are your 2023 recommendations for: Fire rated GU10 Downlights that:- Fit Snuggly and Seal well, are low profile / height, and economical ?

Thx

Click fire guard. Fitted loads both fixed and gambled and ip rated version in bathrooms.

Great price, look good and easy to fit as come with the 20a plug and sockets.

Customers seem to like them as they can take them out and remove to decorate.

Plasterers like them for a similar reason. If fitting to a ceiling that's waiting to be plastered, don't fold the clips back just gently push them up and they will hold and allows you to put lamps in and use them.

I want fire rated so to give better protection to the habitable rooms above.
If the ceiling isn't fire rated it's pointless, but that's your choice. Good smoke detection will give you more protection. JCC used to have a little video showing their non fire rated downlighters were good for 30 mins, I'll see if I can find it.

There is so much ignorance about where fire rated units are actually necessary …..
yep. as a general rule, unless there are fire doors or a different flat above, then fire rated not required. nothing wrong with fitting them though, especially as many are fire rated anyway so saves stocking 2 different types

yep. as a general rule, unless there are fire doors or a different flat above, then fire rated not required. nothing wrong with fitting them though, especially as many are fire rated anyway so saves stocking 2 different types
As the cost difference has evaporated, and as you say, most are fire rated anyway, it's not worth worrying about anymore.

I’m more concerned about the EICR chancers giving C2 codes to downlights ….
Yes, this has been my main concern as I also let out properties and have issues with the EICR’s if Fire Rated are not fitted where there is a habitable room above.

Since having a few EICR problems relating to Downlights, I made my own rule only to refit fire rated Downlights.

Also I find that if the broader property heat insulation is not so good then using Fire Rated stops any unwanted drafts past lamps. It all helps….

Also I find that if the broader property heat insulation is not so good then using Fire Rated stops any unwanted drafts past lamps. It all helps….
That's a fair point, attic conversions have to have sealed units, so anything bathroom rated does the job.

With regards to fire regs, you only need fire rated gear if penetrating a fire partition. Very few properties have fire rated ceilings hence no need for fire rated downlighters. That's the short version, there's been a few changes to HiMO rentals which I'm not up to date with, and flats are different again.

Yes, this has been my main concern as I also let out properties and have issues with the EICR’s if Fire Rated are not fitted where there is a habitable room above.
no idea where people keep getting this 'habitable room above' from. its not in any regs. usually comes form incompetent 'electricians'

no idea where people keep getting this 'habitable room above' from. its not in any regs. usually comes form incompetent 'electricians'
It applies if there is a garage below the habitable room.

Latest posts