Replacing Downlights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brij

Reaction score
I am looking to replace Downlights in 3 rooms with GU10 LED Fire rated Downlights. Existing downlights are square with square cut out of 85m x 85m. Outside edge of the light fitting is 95m on all 4 sides. Hight is approximately 85m. Struggling to find any Downlights that would fit this cut out and fully cover the square cut out. Anyone has any recommendation. Much appreciate.

I am looking to replace Downlights in 3 rooms with GU10 LED Fire rated Downlights. Existing downlights are square with square cut out of 85m x 85m. Outside edge of the light fitting is 95m on all 4 sides. Hight is approximately 85m. Struggling to find any Downlights that would fit this cut out and fully cover the square cut out. Anyone has any recommendation. Much appreciate.
What makes you think you need fire rated?

Tell them you will be happy to comply if they can show you where it’s a requirement within the BS7671, say that you would like it confirmed in writing by their competent electrical person for verification by the IET.l as you are not familiar with the bs7671 yourself.

^^^^^^^What he said.

And I could not find any blanking plates that would cover a 85m square hole, did you mean 85mm, if you didn't then getting to them at 85m off the ground would be my main concern. 😇

Try these: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTHCP.html will cover a 85mm square hole.

Last edited:
It seems all very vague, what extra time is a fire rated down light going to give you? Reason I ask is they say that a single sheet of plasterboard gives 30minutes protection but from what I’ve seen houses go up a lot quicker than 30minutes?? Reason being there is a large hole in a wall for a door which generally aren’t fire rated?

Notwithstanding the regs, why would you put anything other than fire rated downlighter in, for the sake of a few pence?

It seems all very vague, what extra time is a fire rated down light going to give you? Reason I ask is they say that a single sheet of plasterboard gives 30minutes protection but from what I’ve seen houses go up a lot quicker than 30minutes?? Reason being there is a large hole in a wall for a door which generally aren’t fire rated?
Fires spread across ceilings, giving extra time for those above to escape can only be a good thing, a matter of seconds can make all the difference.

I wouldn’t be ripping out perfectly good lights

The stair case is a far far greater fire risk than down lights
This is exactly my point, there are greater elements likely to cause a quicker sufficient spread to increase risk than a down light? Extractor fan ducts running through ceiling voids, stairs, doors, architraves skirtings etc etc

Latest posts