Fixing a computer network cable to a brick wall

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayenn

Reaction score
I will be running a computer network cable around the front of my house (not power or lighting) and the problem is going to be fixing it to the brick wall. A YouTube video said that the best way was to drill holes in the wall, fit plastic dowels in the holes  (plastic not wood because it is outside) and use the dowels to hold the cable clips., which would hold the cable. Sounds good to me but I can't find these plastic dowels anywhere.

What is the best way of fitting the cable, please? How would a professional do it?

Hello Jayen,

Firstly make sure you use exterior grade network cable.

Personally I would not clip it directly like that outside, but, that is just me.

If you are set on this you need to look for Tower (now Schneider),  Pin Plugs I think the code is 55PP1?

These will do the job, I have used them for clipping cables direct when I can't get the cable clip nails into the wall.

Hi There, The plastic dowels are ordinary rawlplugs. If you drill a hole and tap one in, [make it a tight fit] you can knock the nail into that. Cable clips come with a very hard masonry type nail though that will knock into modern brick quite easily, or you could knock them into the mortar..

As to how a professional would do it i have no idea though, as i am not one!! Wait till the others come along and see what they say.

If i have to run a cable along a wall, first i use a chalk line to make a line on the wall, and then I drill the holes exactly on the now marked out line at equal intervals, and then fix the cable. Makes it SOOOOOO much straighter and better looking!!

john..

Crickey, that was quick! Thanks very much - I have a great deal to think about!

In view of what's been said, I will have another look at running it inside the house. The network cable isn't outside quality and I didn't know you could buy it. There are great problems with going through the house, however.

I've tried, in the past, to drive the nails into brick and mortar with bad results (some bricks far too hard, the mortar cracks and falls out - hence my question) but that was many years ago and we've only been in this house a couple of years - I'll have a look at the brickwork at look at the feasibility of doing that..

I've also used Rawlplugs and that wasn't too bad, at all.

As I said, I'll think about all the suggestions so thanks very much.

Thanks Blue Duck. The problem with using black conduit is the tortuous route from one part of the building to the other but that's worth thinking about and, perhaps, finding a different run to reduce the number of bends/elbows.

Having had a quick think, I have thought of a different route and I like the idea of the conduit but it'll have to wait until tomorrow when it's light, again so I can see the run better.

Thanks - very grateful to all.

Well, I certainly have to reconsider what I planned! Thanks to all. I shall do what I should have done at the beginning - connect the network cable and check that it makes a difference.

To recap - my problem is that I have a wireless computer system and, because of where I have my "office" and where the router is fitted for telephone, TV, etc. (almost couldn't be further apart!), I have been getting loss of signal problems more often than I used to. The broadband provider says that it's not a problem they've experienced - and I believe them; hence, my decision to "hardwire" the connection. But I really ought to check that things improve, first.

If and when it does, I shall, then, have to consider all that has been said here.

Many thanks to all - I'm very grateful.

Well, I certainly have to reconsider what I planned! Thanks to all. I shall do what I should have done at the beginning - connect the network cable and check that it makes a difference.

To recap - my problem is that I have a wireless computer system and, because of where I have my "office" and where the router is fitted for telephone, TV, etc. (almost couldn't be further apart!), I have been getting loss of signal problems more often than I used to. The broadband provider says that it's not a problem they've experienced - and I believe them; hence, my decision to "hardwire" the connection. But I really ought to check that things improve, first.

If and when it does, I shall, then, have to consider all that has been said here.

Many thanks to all - I'm very grateful.

Have you considered powerline adaptors? I use them to cure the very problem you outline.

Sorry Murdoch, I did see your original post but, then, with so many other suggestions, forgot it. I, sincerely, apologise.

Yes, that's what I've got at the moment. One adaptor plugged into the power socket right by me and the other right by the power socket near the router across the hall and a couple of rooms away. It seemed a good idea and I can't understand why the loss of signal still happens. It's as though something trips and, temporarily, breaks the connection in the mains line but that can't be. It only lasts for about 15 seconds, normally. The last possible area of problem might be the computer itself though it seems fine. However, it could be a computer intermittent fault and, as we all know, intermittent faults are the worse type of fault to try to find.

I'll connect the internet cable by just running it through the house and see if that makes any difference. Thanks again Murdoch and if you have any idea why the powerline system doesn't work, I'd be very grateful. I have no idea why it doesn't but will give it some thought.

Just checked - yes they are. I couldn't see why they wouldn't be - it's really a bungalow with an large roof conversion - big as regards distances between rooms but not in other ways. I call it a house because, with the conversion it better fits that description. I've checked the downstairs and the upstairs distribution MCBs - they're fine and clearly marked - mains, lighting, upstairs, downstairs, cooker - the usual.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't tried the network cable yet as I'm a volunteer researcher for a museum and I'm rather busy at the moment - I wish I could retire - Oh, I have - I forgot!

Seriously, I'll look into that tomorrow. Again, many thanks for your help. I will have another think about the powerline adaptor problem - I thought that would cure my problem but it didn't and I can't understand why.

Okay all,

I thought I'd leave it a few days until I was certain but, yes, I don't have the problem anymore. The network cable worked - just draped across the floors and across the hall. Now I have to make the decision as to which way to go more permanently. All the ideas are fine with me so thanks for those.

Why the power line adaptor system didn't work I don't know - perhaps, instead of a loss of connection, there was a spike from something switching on and off (I've no idea what that might be) and that affected the electronics of the adaptors.

Thanks for all your help. I shall mark this as problem solved.

Okay all,

I thought I'd leave it a few days until I was certain but, yes, I don't have the problem anymore. The network cable worked - just draped across the floors and across the hall. Now I have to make the decision as to which way to go more permanently. All the ideas are fine with me so thanks for those.

Why the power line adaptor system didn't work I don't know - perhaps, instead of a loss of connection, there was a spike from something switching on and off (I've no idea what that might be) and that affected the electronics of the adaptors.

Thanks for all your help. I shall mark this as problem solved.

They do occasionally need resetting and I find that restarting our router helps too!

Latest posts